Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2003, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Backing into the correct play..almost

[ QUOTE ]
He checks, I bet (g/b?), he raises..., I call (g/b?) (8.5 bb in pot) He checkraised you with a set that he flopped. From his betting pattern you should have picked that up. He limped utg with 8's and flopped a set. He played it like a set of 8's.Of course you didn't know that, or you wouldnt have drawn to a 11.5:1 shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that UTG folded preflop, and this was the BB. I actually would have figured him for Kings since not many will 3-bet with 88 from the BB, but same difference.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:49 PM

Default Re: A hand that I didnt realize

Looks pretty cool. Is it worth the 29 bucks.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:16 PM

You played everything fine except the turn and not capping the river.

Check the turn.

Cap the river - NEVER think you are going to chop, jam it.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:28 PM

Ok, dude... this is a serious pet peeve of mine, and since you did it while i was thinking about it, you're gonna hear about it. There is no need to ask (good/bad?) or (comments?) after each action in the hand. It is implied, since you are posting the hand, that we will comment on any and all decisions you made in the hand. If you fail to ask (good/bad?) after an action, it's not like we are gonna ignore that action. So just leave it out please.

As for the hand... when your opponent 3-bets you preflop from the blinds and then checks the flop, that usually means he flopped a set. So you should play the hand accordingly. A reasonable way to play is to bet the flop and then when he calls, check behind on the turn if you miss. The reason you want to do this is because you expect to collect several bets on the river when you hit your hand.

And, btw, never stop raising on the river when you have the nuts! That is all.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:35 AM

What about the possibility that the BB re-raised with QQ, and was scared of a AK raise pre-flop?

The best thing the BB can do if he has QQ is to bet out?

And if the BB had QQ, wouldn`t it be possible to keep betting to try to make him fold? Not a wise decision in a LL game I suppose. What about higher limits?
Old 08-07-2003, 03:04 AM

hi john
you need to review hfap and top. you couldn't screw up the pre-flop or flop because your opponent controlled the action on those rounds. but i have a feeling if you could have screwed up the pre-flop or flop, you may have.

you can't possibly screw up the river, but somehow you managed to actually screw up the river. i'm thinking you need to read hfap thin one for $9.95 because i don't think you're posting your blinds properly. and i don't think you know from which direction the action comes. and you sure don't know from nuts.

you should stop being so frivolous with your money in big ways, and spend the ten bucks, get the book and maybe then you'll know what you're doing at the table. right now you're just throwing your money away, but your at the right place and at least you tell us the truth about what your doing so someone can stop you. what your doing is very expensive. you are losing a lot of money, and you will lose a lot more. you must stop gambling money in card games and start studying. you're about a year away from being able to compete in live action.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:31 AM

I think the flop bet is ok. But once you get called on the flop, you have to be very concerned that your opponent is setting up a checkraise on the turn. And you still don't really ever expect to have the best hand here. Even if he has QQ, you are betting that he plans to lay it down... which is probably not the best bet in such a small pot after he calls on the flop. So here you should clearly just check behind on the turn against most opponents, low or mid limit.