Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Convert from Limit Questions

First off thank you all for all I learned from reading tons of posts from this forum today. I play limit almost exclusively but thought I would clear the lastest Party bonus on the 25NL tables. After about 1000 hands I am down 6 buyins. A couple of bad beats but overall unskilled play is the main culprit.
Wish I read all the posts here before I hit the tables lol.
Anyway, one question I have is about stack size, it is better to have a big stack or small? I have been getting more chips everytime I get below $20 and if I am above like $40-50 I don't leave and come back but just sit with the bigger stack. What is the standard play and what should I be considering when making these decisions? Thanks.

I am now officially pissed off and not playing anything but NL25 until my PT stats are showing a profit. Wish me luck, patience, and discipline. -MrG
Old 08-10-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Convert from Limit Questions

Always sit with the most money possible. Play position. Overpairs don't win big pots. Check out my blog if you want to see how I've done this summer at Party and Full Tilt NL. Maybe some things in there can help.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:28 PM

If you are new, there is something to be said for sitting with a shorter stack because you aren't as familiar or comfortable with making big post flop decisions. Until you get extremely comfortable, it might not be a bad idea to play shorter stacks.

Once you get into the swing of things you will prefer to have a big stack because you have the opportunity to stack another big stack at the table. The best thing on earth is seeing your favorite donk with a big stack....you get yours up to that size then stack his clown ass.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:52 PM

hi MrG,

I can totally relate, I've dabbled a bit in NL, but now am starting to take it seriously after I got my ass handed to me playing a cheap NL MTT with a few of the Microlimit trouters. Not only did I only play ~3 hands, was the first one of the group out, but the ones with NL experience told me the hand I got busted on was apparently the "easiest laydown ever"

here are a few threads that have helped me out thus far:

bunch of NL fav threads (redundant, I know)

and

responses when I asked the same question a while back
Old 08-10-2005, 06:14 PM

Unless you understand short stack theory, sit with a full stack.

At nearly every table I'm playing on, there are always at least 2-3 people buying in with a shortstack. 99% of the time, they are idiots because they don't realize you have to play differently with a short stack. For example, at $50 tables, people sit down with $10. After 1 rotation, they're going to lose 15% of their stack to the blinds.

Furthermore, they play hands that ONLY deep stacks should play.

If you're going to play a short stack and someone raises before it gets to you, the wrong thing to do is call. With a small stack, you're not getting proper odds to see a flop with a drawing hand.

There are numerous threads on shortstack play. Suffice it to say, most people buying in short don't know how they should be adjusting their play.

I've discussed this with other players... usually, the sign of a weak player IS that they buyin short. (again... there are people who know how to play a shortstack correctly and they are the exception)

I would recommend either finding the article on shortstack play OR buyin full. Play tight ABC poker ESPECIALLY at the $25 tables. Pay attention to position. And don't bluff much. There are too many calling stations at the low tables. You don't have to bluff. They will call when you have a good hand.