Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: The first hand at WSOP Lake Tahoe

Indeed there was a lot of weirdness here. Many have posted about when the poker boom on TV will end. If this tournament
had phony hands and this comes out(or an early final table deal was struck) this could be an early stage of poker's relative
demise.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed there was a lot of weirdness here. Many have posted about when the poker boom on TV will end. If this tournament
had phony hands and this comes out(or an early final table deal was struck) this could be an early stage of poker's relative
demise.

[/ QUOTE ]

as long as the competition remains fair, this is untrue. most people will appreciate a little spice.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:42 AM

The people accusing ESPN of faking this hand are absolute tools. Perhaps the biggest meatheads on the planet.

If they did fake a hand, they publicly made Reed look like one of the biggest JACKASSES on the planet on National Television in front of millions of views. ESPN isn't that stupid to blow the biggest thing they have going. I heard they had done it in the first WSOP they covered from start to finish (with Moneymaker), and that Paul Phillips and others claim they had a couple different hands wrong. But in its infancy, they didn't know what they had, and they didn't have cameras everywhere all the time.

If I was Reed I would be more than upset, I'd be outraged and have my lawyers on the phone.

The hand DEFINENTLY happened. The look on his face said it ALL! ESPN isn't that stupid to take their cash cow to the slaughterhouse. Heads would roll if they did.

The hands were real.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:02 PM

Read the first post. He's saying the faked hand is Lissandro with TT against Ivey with 99 on a 4445 board. When Lissandro checked his hole cards and they showed that view, you could not make out his hand. You could see one T but not the other card. Based on some of the calls Lissandro made later in the tournament, I have a tough time believing he laid down TT there. He probably had AT but ESPN couldn't see the other card so made the laydown more exciting by giving him TT.

No one is saying that Reed hand was faked. He even talked about what he had, how would that be setup?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:21 PM

To the guy who said that ESPN would not mess with such a great "cash-cow"; let me tell you a story from the early days of television regarding bowling. They had a multi-week invitational tournament(this was about 1960) with many of the top pros. This is what they did. Say Bowler A was battling Bowler B for the playoffs. They would bowl many,many games and just show on TV the best 3 games, both for high scores
and exciting endings and say it was a 3 game series. You
never saw so many 750 series! And in a matter of a few weeks there were 2 300 games. The truth came out.

Bowling never recovered on TV until the 70's.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:32 PM

Color me skeptical. I don't know why TT is so much more exciting than T?.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:02 PM

No, there's also people claiming the Reed hand was faked also, read back through the thread..

Since we couldn't see the cards.. I'm guessing that Lissandro told ESPN he had 10-10.

I'll have to tape it and pause next time it's on the air to see if the cards could be seen.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:23 PM

It's obvious that televised is rigged...

JE
Old 08-10-2005, 03:37 PM

all poker everywhere is rigged. get used to it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 03:39 PM

they basically do the same thing with poker already. they only show the exciting hands. they never mention that the final table took 12 hrs or that there was 3 hrs of heads up.