Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 03:16 PM

Default When is it best to use the check/raise on 4th street?

I have been using the check/raise on 4th street when I know that I am ahead of my opponent. However, it seems that If I am the inital raiser preflop, If I try this check/raise on 4th street I miss a bet. Here is a great example of me missing a bet on 4th street. When is it best to employ this move?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks.

River: (4 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 5 BB
Old 08-09-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: When is it best to use the check/raise on 4th street?

Make sure the dude is aggressive
Old 08-09-2005, 03:25 PM

When drawing out of position, often you want to bet the river if you make your flush and check-raise if you make your straight.

It's not enough to be ahead of your opponent when you check-raise. You have to be ahead most of the time when he calls your raise. I don't like check-raising this river because I think that even donks will fold to a river c/r on a paired board unless he has a good hand.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:40 PM

I don't know why you thought he would bet if you checked here. If he had a ten or mid pockets he is gonna hate that turn card. I think had he raised your flop bet and a brick had hit the turn then a check/raise may have been the play.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why you thought he would bet if you checked here. If he had a ten or mid pockets he is gonna hate that turn card. I think had he raised your flop bet and a brick had hit the turn then a check/raise may have been the play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I made the wrong move here, thats why I was asking when it is best to check/raise the turn.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree I made the wrong move here, thats why I was asking when it is best to check/raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it can be correct if some of the following is true.

a. Villian is aggressive (as pointed out), or at least the aggressor in the hand
b. We have some reason to believe he hit the flop, or turn, and likes his hand
c. He is more likely to bet and call a c/r, then to raise a piece of the board when bet into.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:22 PM

Don't just blindly employ check-raises like this. Think about how aggressive your opponent is, think about what your opponent might have, and think about what this opponent thinks you have. When a K slides off and the PFR checks to me on the turn, I'm very likely taking a free card if I'm the villain here...