Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: online poker rooms give artificial lucks?
Yes 29 23.39%
No 95 76.61%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Steve Young vs Dan Marino

[ QUOTE ]
You're completely missimg my point. By my logic I could make a decent argument that Dayne > Payton. Its not very good logic, of course, but its propietary and ownership is important in a free market society.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm still missing your point. Are you voting Young or Marino? Are you saying Marino fans have these as their only two arguments? I'm not all a Marino fan, but that's very silly.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:27 AM

he's a jet fan...it's a funny post.

i think my point in this thread is that MOST of the people who picked young would ABSOLUTELY have picked marino if the two qb's career paths were switched. it's tough to compare the two because honestly - if you're results oriented you're going to pick young everytime because of jewelery.

if marino played his entire career for the 49er's, we may be talking about him being the hands down greatest ever...and that's coming from an elway fan.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:28 AM

I think he is a Jets fan and therefore dislikes Marino and voted for Young.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:39 AM

Yeah, we're always tempted to say "Marino" when asked who was the greatest QB because he threw better than anyone. Our image of Steve Young is probably one of a really clever guy who learned a lot watching Montana, another QB who knew how to win despite not having a super arm.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if marino spent half his career sitting behind Joe Montana, we may be not even talking about him

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP
Old 08-09-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So wait... a journeyman is a guy that plays for two teams in 15 years, and 13 years for one team?

[/ QUOTE ]

What does how many teams have to do with whether he's ajourneyman or not? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing for numerous teams is the very definition of a journeyman.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So wait... a journeyman is a guy that plays for two teams in 15 years, and 13 years for one team?

[/ QUOTE ]

What does how many teams have to do with whether he's ajourneyman or not? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Did you have too much to drink on your birthday yesterday?
Old 08-09-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Did you have too much to drink on your birthday yesterday?

[/ QUOTE ]

A journeyman just means he's been around a long time. He's an experienced guy that's competent but no more. It has nothing to do with how many teams he's been on. Hell the term is used both in and outside of sports in contexts where teams aren't even involved. For instance in boxing you have journeyman fighters. It's a common term, and its definition is pretty much the same in football as it is anywhere else. It may happen that most journeyman players have been with multiple teams, but it's not a prerequisite.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A journeyman just means he's been around a long time. He's an experienced guy that's competent but no more. It has nothing to do with how many teams he's been on. Hell the term is used both in and outside of sports in contexts where teams aren't even involved. For instance in boxing you have journeyman fighters. It's a common term, and its definition is pretty much the same in football as it is anywhere else. It may happen that most journeyman players have been with multiple teams, but it's not a prerequisite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very few marginal talents stay with one team in sports these days due to salary cap restrictions. Marginal, just adequate talent gets moved. The term is used precisely as you mentioned in boxing, but boxing is an individual sport.Don't see how you use it as a basis of comparison with the major team sports. Please give me an athlete who in your mind has journeyman status and has not played for several teams.