Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 11:08 AM

Default B&M - Local Collusion or just dumb?

So I'm in New Orleans on business and find out there is a $100+15 MTT freezeout @ Harrah's the next morning. So I make it to the final two tables and by now I'm the only non local in the game. These guys all know each other and obviously play a lot together.....we are at an increase in payout bubble and then a hand comes up that struck me as odd...

Blinds 5K/10K with 500 ante. UTG has 12K left and goes all, it folds around to BB. He has about 80K in chips left , about avg chip counnt. So there is 32K in the pot (10K of which is his in the BB). SO it will cost him 2K to call..the SOB folds looks at me (short stacked with 36K in chips) and smiles..

WTF? Is there any reason you can think of for the BB to fold that hand?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Re: B&M - Local Collusion or just dumb?

I'd have called the floor over and asked to have his cards shown. That's ridiculous.

Nick
Old 08-09-2005, 11:32 AM

What could the floor have done though??

Also, it's proper MTT strategy for big stacks to keep short stacks around.

Probably collusion, but what can you really do? That's just part of the game isn't it?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was going to mention this. If he had been stealing lots of blinds cause the short stacks were playing too tight on this bubble then he probably wouldn't mind keeping them around. However just winning this pot would increase his stack by something like 30-40%. That's huge and would make up for a lot of the blind-stealing he plans on doing so i doubt that's the motivation. I don't know what kind of deal i'd have to have set up to make me fold here. Even if I had an understanding with the all-in player they'd probably do better collectively to chip dump to the BB than to let the all-in player keep sqeaking by with his short stack.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keeping 'em around is one thing....NOT CALLING for an extra 2k is all together something else ENTIRELY! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm in New Orleans on business and find out there is a $100+15 MTT freezeout @ Harrah's the next morning. So I make it to the final two tables and by now I'm the only non local in the game. These guys all know each other and obviously play a lot together.....we are at an increase in payout bubble and then a hand comes up that struck me as odd...

Blinds 5K/10K with 500 ante. UTG has 12K left and goes all, it folds around to BB. He has about 80K in chips left , about avg chip counnt. So there is 32K in the pot (10K of which is his in the BB). SO it will cost him 2K to call..the SOB folds looks at me (short stacked with 36K in chips) and smiles..

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a big stretch to call that collusion, soft play maybe....the guy was UTG, not like he knew everybody would fold for 1.2 BB's, some people are just stupid man, i see people do this kind of stuff online all the time.

he probably smiled at you because he knew what you wanted him to do, and he didn't.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a big stretch to call that collusion, soft play maybe....the guy was UTG, not like he knew everybody would fold for 1.2 BB's, some people are just stupid man, i see people do this kind of stuff online all the time.

he probably smiled at you because he knew what you wanted him to do, and he didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just b/c it wasnt 100% orchestrated, doesnt mean it is not collusion. There very well could be a spoken or unspoker agreement between a few players to try to bust the 'outsiders' before going after each other. That is collusion
Old 08-09-2005, 03:07 PM

I call the floor. They can't make him call, but can watch for further collusion.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I call the floor. They can't make him call, but can watch for further collusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would go over well at N.O. Harrahs.