Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 04:46 PM

Default 2 Overpair hands...Leak?

Pretty rough session yesterday, just kept running into ridiculous situations. Anyways, these 2 hands stuck with me today and I'm wondering if there's a fold anywhere, or if I'm misplaying them otherwise.

Party Poker $100 max NL
Hero and villain each have around $110
Hero is dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG limps, one other limper, I raise to $5 from middle position. BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop($15.50): 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Both players check, I bet $16, UTG minraises, limper folds, I call (?)
Turn ($79.50):
9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain pushes, I call (?)

My thoughts were I was pretty committed to the hand by the turn, and I might still be good. If I was behind to a set, I still had 10 outs. Comments?

Hand 2:
Party Poker $100 max NL
Different table, Villain and I each have about $100
Hero is dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP.
Folded to me, I raise to $3, only the big blind calls.

Flop ($6.50): J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
He checks, I bet $7, he raises to $19, I call (?)

Turn ($44.50): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain leads for $35, I call (?)

My thinking now is that I need to give this up here?

River($114.50): J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Check Check

I don't think I played the Kings badly, but I feel like I may have gotten "married" to the Queens. Comments?
Old 08-08-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: 2 Overpair hands...Leak?

My thoughts on the hands

1st one..probably made his flush.. depends on how he's played previous hands. Why throw good money after bad... KK. Lotsa people chasing with any 2 suited cards.

2nd one...my guess is he has 2 pair, or maybe even hit 3 of a kind at the turn. No reason for him to push $35 at this point if he's trying to put you on trips - a $19 bet will do the same, and you've already called a raise pre-flop, so he knows you have something. I woulda raised more pre-flop. A lot depends on how he's played out previos hands.. LAG? Tight?
Old 08-08-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1st one..probably made his flush.. depends on how he's played previous hands. Why throw good money after bad... KK. Lotsa people chasing with any 2 suited cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think I could put him on a flush since I was check/raised on the flop. I don't see flush draws checkraise out of position at $100 max very often.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:32 PM

Getting married to overpairs is a leak, but do not be afraid to stack off with them against maniacs.

Hand 1:

Fold turn.

Hand 2:

Fold flop.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:33 PM

hand 1 - I don't mind the call of the minraise on the flop but when that flush card hits on the turn and he pushes, I just can't see you being ahead of much.

Hand 2 - Very bizaare hand...he checkraises you on the flop...bets the paired board big on the turn, but then checks when the jacks hit on the river...set of 10's is my guess here that thinks he just got sucked out on by the jacks. I fold to that large turn bet I guess....I think a set is just way too likely given his action, although if he had J10 (a very commonly played hand as we all know) you just sucked out on him, until the river anyways.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:35 PM

I agree, and weird play.. how's he played in the past?

Personally, I always bet out on 2 suits when they hit the board... not going to give anyone a chance to get one free card by checking they're going to have to pay to hit it.

Pretty aggressive for low cards on a flop. I still say he's on a flush, at least as a back-up to a straight or trips? He's got a strong hand that probably has a pair beat.

Come back and fight another day?
Old 08-08-2005, 05:49 PM

hmmm..if I remember correctly is it .50 1.00 blinds? anyhow.. good that you raised.. and good that you bet the flop.. probably bad that you called a min raise.. at that point the chk min raise from the UTG seems a bit weak to me .. if he flopped a set he would probably pull this move on the turn since he would expect for you to bet it on the turn. It was push or fold at that point.. I think I would have pushed thinking he missed his set.. I go broke with that hand short handed...or better yet, double through.. min raised his draws? maybe a top pair and draw like J, Q, or King 10..

as far as the hand with the Q,Q .. why do you call?? fold or re-raise... unless you plan on check and pushing the turn...I think you give villian the initiative and now you're left pondering.. give yourself some more info by re-raising..leave him to think about it

-jn
Old 08-09-2005, 08:27 AM

In both hands, with different villains in each, they showed down aces.