Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: An excellent assessment of low-limit B&M

Nice beastiality avatar
Old 08-08-2005, 04:51 PM

While he does point out some of the idiocy in the game, he doesn't realize any of his own. Bad job by him.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:12 PM

The article is interesting on two points, first because it presents such a materially accurate portrayal of low limit hold em. The other interesting factor is the guy's negative opinion/attitude towards these factors, which is what makes it hillarious.

Trying to bluff in a 2/4 game is as ridiculous as wearing sunglasses and a hood. He has no concept of EV what so ever. He's very typical of someone who has played a alot of NL and plays an OK game and plays limit and hates it because he doesn't understand it.

Example, you get AK in NL you will win the hand TONS of the time, you raise big preflop and eithe rtake it down there or isoalte 1-2 people. You can easily bet a raggedy flop and take it down right there.

In other words good preflop hands win alot more of the time in NL because you can bet them big preflop. Since NL has many fewer players seeing the flop, the better cards do much better in terms of % wins.

Welcome to limit, particularly LOW limit, you still raise with your AK but you might have 5 callers. When the board comes 6 9 T odds are SOMEBODY has paired up and you are now behind, you go down to the river and get all pissy when a 8To takes down the pot and the only thin you think is "This game is gay, if it were NL I would have bet enough preflop to make him fold his crappy 8To" and then you go punch up a little article for ESPN and all the other NL drones out there.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: An excellent assessment of low-limit B&M?

[ QUOTE ]
Right, that's the point -- his animosity toward the fish is primarily because they show him up for being a fish himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow… great statement wraps up the OP and the article all in one, impressive!

He is a little story…

There is a dealer I know in a local card room that plays mostly NL in that room because the limit games are too small. He keeps asking me why I am willing to play pink chip or 10/20 games, when everyone calls down to the river. He will only play limit if the game is 40/80 or greater because “there are no chasers in my game”. More than once I have begged him to sit down and play with us, one time he actually obliged but ran away in less than 30 mins out of frustration… suffice to say he played every hand and lost his entire buy in, thereby justifying in his head why low limit poker is bad. If I was rolled for 40/80 I’d personally pay for his trip to AC with me because I’m pretty sure I’d have a positive expected value even with the additional expenses incurred from his room, he is my dream opponent.

I guess it’s hard to see that the true fish is actually within.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 07:16 PM

I'm sorry I won't see Mr. Newmann at the $2-4 tables at FWs anymore...

My favorite part was the very end...

"Peter Newmann is the poker researcher at ESPN. If you have a good story to tell, he'd love to hear it. He can be reached at peter.d.newmann@espn.com "
Old 08-08-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: An excellent assessment of low-limit B&M?

Heh, yeah, if anything his post illustrates *why* people can beat this game despite the rake.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:45 PM

After scanning the responses in this thread, I'm surprised no one raised (or seemingly raised - in case I missed it)the obvious issue - limit poker - particuarly loose low limit games - is a different game than NL. Tight limit games are different than loose games. The differences in these games are the values of the starting hands. Drawing speculative hands like suited and one gapped connectors and mid pairs go up in value, while made high pairs go down in value. Regardless, having an overlay and paying attention to position and pot size are huge contributors to ensuring that you are getting +EV.

Making adjustments to your game and hand reading are extremely important to having success in these games. Bluffing bad players is always -EV.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:31 PM

Hopefully Miller, Sklansky, and Malmuth will talk this guy into helping them with a new version of SSH soon. He would revolutionize the game.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:19 AM

Didn't know ESPN was now publishing bad beat posts.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:30 AM

Nothing is funnier than a bad player complaining about how all the other players in limit are so bad that he cannot beat them.