Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 04:40 PM

Default TT on the button. Variant on a theme.

There's a poster in the CO. Folded to him and he raises. I 3-bet my TT on the button. Folded to CO who calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7.5 SB)
CO bets, I call.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4.75BB)
CO bets, I call.

River: X

How have I done so far? Is folding before I got to the river a good play? Do I fold to a bet on the river? If I would normally call, is there any card that would change that to a fold?

- Jim
Old 08-08-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Re: TT on the button. Variant on a theme.

[ QUOTE ]
How have I done so far? Is folding before I got to the river a good play? Do I fold to a bet on the river? If I would normally call, is there any card that would change that to a fold?

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

i normally raise the flop, let him think i have AK. if he 3-bets or leads the turn, i fold. (actually i probably call a 3-bet and fold the turn because i suck)

what limit is this on? or is this hypothetical?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:50 PM

Jim,

My first instinct is that your hand is too weak to go way-ahead/way-behind here.

The diamond draw makes this a little bit muddier as villain might be raising a betting a lot of stuff here. This is particularly tough without a read.

In position, I prefer to try to get to a showdown a little cheaper than the way ahead/way behind route, and pressure villain a little more on early streets. I don't like the reverse implied odds I'm getting, and so I prefer to take control and hopefully be able to check the river.

Therefore, my line is:

Raise the flop, with the intention of betting the turn and checking behind on the river.

The tough decision is what to do if I get three-bet on the flop. Given that the pot isn't that big and I'm facing a call down for two bets with a very vulnerable hand (with few outs), I'm pretty willing to let this hand go after the flop (though probably not folding the flop for metagame purposes).

I'm also going to be willing to fold to turn pressure against a standard opponent.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:54 PM

This is 10/20 on PP.

- Jim
Old 08-08-2005, 04:54 PM

If I have no previous data on the villian, I'm raising the flop and folding to a 3 bet. Your play makes it plausable that you have AK or stronger, and if he 3 bets OOP it scares me just a bit, and I think I can safely dump the hand there, the pots a bit too small and you're likely drawing way way thin. If he calls the raise and checks the turn, I lead the turn, fold to a check raise and take a free showdown. If he then decides to donk a river, I'm not sure what I do... probably get on the phone to W. Deranged and ask him what to do.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:55 PM

Without a read on him, CO has literally any two cards. On this flop, you're either way behind, or dodging probably a 3-6 outer. Calling down is probably no good, I think, because if you are ahead, it's a mistake to let him see the turn and river cheaply. If you're behind, you're drawing thin enough that you should probably get out cheaply as possible.

I think I would raise the flop and fold to a 3-bet. If called and checked to on the turn, which I fully expect to happen most of the time, I'd lead it, and c/c the river.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:10 PM

I like your line. At the time, I was getting my head kicked in and my tendancy is to call too much during those periods. There was a good post not too long ago that mentioned when there's a tough decision between raising and folding that we sometimes compromise and call. This is one of those times.

Which leads me to: I also like folding the flop.

My opponent could have Ax and flopped a small pair, holding a small pp or completely whiffed and be playing the King in a heads-up situation. The real question is, "does this happen often enough against an unknown to make continuing valuable?"

I don't think so.

- Jim
Old 08-08-2005, 05:14 PM

Jim,

I personally think that taking a cheap "get-to-showdown" line and folding the flop are both viable here and will probably be similar in EV. It's quite read dependent.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:17 PM

Deeb,

I feel that 3 betting preflop then folding to a flop donk just draws a giant vag on my forehead for this new guy to attack. I like raising the flop over folding because I'm not sure which line has more EV, and I think raising gains me some long run metagame considerations.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:22 PM

I think you need to raise the flop. If 3-bet, release the hand as soon as you can.

As opposed to W.D., I'm playing the turn by ear. If a Q or J comes (as in the hand), I'll likely check the turn and call a river bet. This costs the same as betting the turn and might induce villian to bluff on the river. The downside is that you lose fold equity (which is why I generally bet the turn on an A or other safe card).