Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 09:20 AM

Default Inducing Bets from Opponent

If you raise preflop and get a single caller, then proceed to flop a monster, and you want to set the trap. In most cases do you find that a weak bet or checking is more likely to get your opponent to bet at the pot with a weaker hand or bluff. Especially in STTs I find that you make far more chips by letting your opponents try to push you off your hands than by leading out your sets, flopped flushes, etc. Is this a hopelessly case specific question? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Inducing Bets from Opponent

If it's a boat, I'll play as below, otherwise I bet to ruin odds of the hand I don't wanna see (usually a straight or flush). (Usually 3/4-1x pot)

Unless its a LAG (you just bet out with them), I'll play like this:

I check the flop. Then it varies:
1) If he calls, I just call. I'll then check the turn, if he bets the same or even harder, I'll call again, but if it's a probe, I'll pause for a smallish time (not instant, but not too long - that SCREAMS trap), and raise by about his original bet or 50% more. After, if he stays in it's all out betting, and you bet the maximum you think he'll be prepared to call. Remember your goal is to extract as much as possible. 10 is better than 0 (but 100 is better).

2) If he checks, I'll just bet the minimum. If he just calls, and checks on the turn, I'd bet 1/2-3/4 of the pot with a slight delay (not much though). Sometimes he'll read it that you're bluffing and still call.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:15 PM

this is a hopelessly case specific question
Old 08-07-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was basically looking for an easy way out, sometimes I feel as I never know how to extract the most value out of my premium hands. No matter what I bet, they fold, and if I check they always smell a trap. Guess its just something I need to work on.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was basically looking for an easy way out, sometimes I feel as I never know how to extract the most value out of my premium hands. No matter what I bet, they fold, and if I check they always smell a trap. Guess its just something I need to work on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you purposely pause for a long time before betting/checking? Easy tell as a trap in many cases.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you purposely pause for a long time before betting/checking? Easy tell as a trap in many cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes one of the downsides of multitabling is not being able to act with the timing I like, but yeah, I never intentionally pause like I'm thinking. The only time I've found this somewhat effective is when someone goes all-in and you have the nuts, know you will be calling, but there are others to act behind you that you want to come along as well. I think this is one case where an instacall might scare out a 2nd best hand, while taking your time might suck them in.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only time I've found this somewhat effective is when someone goes all-in and you have the nuts, know you will be calling, but there are others to act behind you that you want to come along as well. I think this is one case where an instacall might scare out a 2nd best hand, while taking your time might suck them in.

[/ QUOTE ]

vnh. I'd aboslutely agree. This is the 1 out of 2 times a very long pause serves its purpose (for reasons that are beyond me - raising the pressure inducing a mistake maybe?), but it does definitely work). The other time is when you have a lock on the nuts by the river, but the other guys been betting confidently. If he's bet out, I will pause as long as possible to raise the tension, and then all-in.
If he checks, I'll raise a smallish bet, high enough to suggest a probe and induce a raise, but also high enough to squeeze out a few more chips if he just calls. If he's just gonna call here, he wouldn't match an all-in in most cases, so you profit from this play.

Long pauses on the flop before betting are almost always traps, I've found (unless the player pauses a lot - indicates bad connection or multitabler). Can anyone confirm?
Old 08-08-2005, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

selective memory / small sample size. I'll bet you're running bad.