Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2003, 11:11 AM

Default EV on Axs 1st in MMP?

Let's say you're in a game where 35% usually see the flop and the pots usually are 15sbs. You are MMP, 1st in, and look down to find something in the range A5s-A2s. The blinds are of average or slightly above average ability. The SB is a 1/3rd bet. Do you raise, limp, or fold?

1. You raise (is it a value or steal raise?) vs those random blinds?

2. You limp hoping for more calls to improve your pot odds?

3. You muck because 4:3 pot odds just isn't worth it?

PS: Do we all agree that with one limper of average ability in ahead of us it's an automatic call?

I've been struggling with this Axs issue for a while now and would appreciate any and all thoughtful answers.

Old 08-02-2003, 11:16 AM

Default Re: EV on Axs 1st in MMP?

I fold because I consider these drawing hands. I need two limpers in front of me before I would play. One more position to the left (CO-1) or later I raise, more or less hoping to steal the blinds, or at least buy the button.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:38 PM

Hmmm...two limpers. Actually, I had been playing it that way for a long time but started getting the impression I was too tight. I'm wondering if a few of the more well respected posters around here aren't a bit too loose/aggressive.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:54 PM

If it's folded to me in MP, I might fold Axs. But, in EP, I'll play it since my limp should attract more limpers behind me. If just one person limps to me in MP, I'll play Axs.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:33 PM

Things don't seem work out well often enough 1st in with this hand in EP. Often you'll flop nothing and have to muck it. Occasionally it costs 2 bets for that privilege. Other times there are too few limpers to properly pursue your draw or too many limpers to pursue your Ace. If it's EV+, it's got to be very close thing. No?
At least in MP there's less chance of a raise behind. This is really the heart of my question.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:21 PM

I would only limp first in with these hands at a table where there were almost always at least 5 players seeing the flop and it was rarely raised (say once or twice per round). The funny thing is I can't remember the last time I played at a table like that. Perhaps I should try Party microlimits. Or perhaps I need to work on my game selection.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:59 AM

I've been playing at Pokerroom for 2 yrs now and more recently game selection at $2-4 and above has been non-existent.

Too many LAG's put me on tilt so I decided to skip Party and try out Paradise instead. What a hoot. I played 2 tables for the 1st time in my life ($2-4). The action was pretty fast and I had to play ABC poker just to keep up. At least I wasn't bored and after 2 hrs and some wild fluctuations I ended up up 4 bbs. The next day I played $3-6 for an hour and had a nice result.

To get back on topic somewhat, understanding why game selection is of extreme importance is a watershed event.