Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Correct play?

No read, just sat down, 3rd hand, table seems pretty tight though.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.66 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 8.66 BB
Old 08-07-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Correct play?

I don't think he's going to fold a PP &lt;KK, and I kind of doubt he calls your flop bet with AQ a very high percentage of the time. I think you can safely check/fold the turn, but if you're going to bet you definitely need to fold to the raise.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he's going to fold a PP &lt;KK, and I kind of doubt he calls your flop bet with AQ a very high percentage of the time. I think you can safely check/fold the turn, but if you're going to bet you definitely need to fold to the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've gotta at least bet/fold until I get a read on the guy.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I've gotta at least bet/fold until I get a read on the guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:55 PM

Why did you call the turn raise? What are you putting him on?
Old 08-07-2005, 07:57 PM

I don't know why I did it truthfully. Stupid play.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:11 PM

Welcome aboard Ragone,

I have not posted here in a while, and I do not play online so take this with a grain of salt.

On to the hand,

Preflop looks good.

Explain the reasoning behind your play postflop.

On the flop, why did you bet into the raiser. After the villian called your flop bet, did you consider check raising the turn.

Did you check the river intending to call a bet from someone who would bet with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] but fold to your bet, or did you fear 10,10 or QQ?

Give us some insight into your thought process, from there others will let you know if you made the "correct" play. Fill in the variables. Solve the equation, next case. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2005, 08:33 PM

Some reads would be clutch here but oh well...

I dont bet this flop, because i dont see many hands that he would 3 bet PF that are gonna be folding for a flop bet, he's gonna see that turn with almost anything. so i check call the flop. i figure we're ahead here (against hands that dont have a K and arent higher pp's) or way behind.

if he calls my flop bet i check call the turn as well if it comes something safe like that 6, if he didnt bet on the flop of course you fire at the turn.

if it indeed went check call check call, i bet the river and fold to a raise.

just how i would play it, without any reads. But yeah in summary you cant possibly call this turn raise.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...if it indeed went check call check call, i bet the river and fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a total newbie--hopefully somebody can explain this to me or verify that it is wrong.

Why would you spend 1 bet to fool around with CO on the river instead of using that 1 bet (a possible call) to actually see what he has?

If you think you're behind and one bet is going to make him crumble and fold on the river that's one thing, but I wouldn't count on it.
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2005, 08:49 PM

In general, the reason to do this is we think he has UI overcards a good portion of the time, and when he does, he will call a bet, hoping to pick off a bluff, but will check behind when we check. Likewise, we can safely fold to a raise from this opponent because they are unlikely to raise a worse hand.

A good article on this concept