Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: which direction do I go

Not sure exactly how much experience you have, but I would definitely push to get to 2 tables as soon as you're confident you can beat a game... and getting to 4 is a nice eventual goal that seems attainable for most serious players.

$1k/week is probably unattainable with a 1k bankroll, you'll have to run that up first. UNLESS you want to prop, which might be a great fit for you. Playing 2/4 and 3/6 is usually the easiest to prop at (those limits tend to have the most tables available at sites with props), which would approach the 1k/week range if you 2-tabled and got 90% of your rake back. At 3/6, maybe $9/table/hour in prop plus the same for actual winnings (optimistically), yielding $36/hr and getting you close- $900 per 25 hours. That, of course, assumes you've learned to play pretty good poker.

The other nice thing about propping is that a significant portion of your EV comes with no variance, allowing for a shorter bankroll. 166 BB at 3/6 is still not great even with prop pay, but it's a hell of a lot safer than trying to play 5/10 with rakeback on 100 BB.

The drawbacks are that you may play somewhat tougher games than you would on empire or another large site, you'll occasionally have to leave good games when tables fill, and you'll have to get comfortable playing somewhat shorthanded.
Additionally, if you only prop at one site, you may not always have more than 1 table available to play (and occasionally none at random hours).

Bonus whoring is also a very solid option, you may actually manage more per hour from collecting bonuses than collecting prop pay at the 2/4 range, I'm not sure.

No matter what you do, really try to get that bankroll up to 3k before spending any profits, and then 1k/week should be much more attainable with <5% RoR, with the appropriate supplementals (prop/bonus/rakeback). And try to do it just from poker winnings- it's usually not a great idea to supplement bankroll from an outside source to move up in limits; better to "earn" the limit jump with solid play at a lower limit.

2nd
Old 08-07-2005, 05:03 AM

Maybe it's because every hand seems meaningless to me in limit, so I have no problem deciding. As oppossed to NL where if I don't know what to do it's probably going to be pretty bad if I'm wrong, and you really need to think at least 1 street ahead.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:29 PM

First, I do want to thank everyone for their replies.

I never said I plan on winning 1k a week with my current bankroll.

10x the bb in nl is attainable up to 200? I do feel it's my strongest game at the moment. Plus if I want to throw in a few tournaments it's closer fit. That is probably the direction I will try. I'll concentrate more in the NL forums. Plus, I tend to play better multi tabling it because I am much more conservative pre flop with more tables. Gotta learn how to play with a big stack on a NL table now, or take the profit and run. I know I play differently agaisnt a big stack when I first sit at a table, I assume the know something if they have the chips in front of them, until they prove otherwise that is. I'll start concentrating on NL and the NL forum.

Again, thank you for the responses.