Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 09:45 AM

Default $2/$5 CAN I be LAG?

$2/$5 6 Max, 6 Handed.

Villian in hand ($700) is pretty tight, decent player. Have seem him make some (very slow) laydowns. I have been playing tight aggressive.

Hero ($550) dealt 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

PREFLOP:
Villian raises to $20 (UTG), Hero calls in BB.

FLOP ($42) 2 players:
T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero leads $30, Villian raises to $60, Hero reraises to $180, Villian calls.

TURN ($402):
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero goes allin $350, Villian calls.

Was this line mad? I don't do this very often, but it looks like I might force a fold on the flop or on a turn scare card (which the I thought the Ace would be).

Results in white:
<font color="white"> Villian shows down AT </font>
Old 08-07-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: $2/$5 CAN I be LAG?

when he calls your re-raise on the flop I think its time to give up because he seems to be married to whatever hand he has.

unless he has a history of folding to these types of play, the turn push doesn't seem like you're going to fold him out, despite the ace being a scary card or not.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:48 AM

the ace becomes significantly less scary for any hand when you have been representing an overpair then all of a sudden push when the ace hits. the only reasonable hand you can have here now that isn't a bluff is AA, unless your read is so strong that he didn't have the A that you would push your JJ-KK here.

i had a hand played recently where i raised preflop with 88 ad villain reraised me with what i perceived to be air. flop comes 774 with 2 diamonds, i check call (for whatever reason). turn is an ace and i check and he overbets the pot. so now he is making a bet that wants a fold. but i either have an ace and will call or i do not have an ace and he is the best hand, so why would he bet this hard on the ace? it was exactly at this point that i realized that my 88 was good and what i later learned was his KJo was not.

this anecdote mean anything to you? my point is that if i had JT or something in this spot, i'd call when you push that turn. it changes slightly that you only have a pot bet left but i don't think it changes it enough to deter me from calling.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:57 AM

hero could potentially represent set here but typically when you have to represent set to get a fold, it doesn't work against all but the tightest of rocks.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:28 PM

sorry, misread, thought hero was PFR. either way, representing a set to get someone to fold is futile, especially if they raise AT UTG then actually hit TPTK.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:14 PM

Min-raise on the flop is scary. Fold unless you have good reason to believe that he would make this bet as a bluff.

After he calls the flop, check/fold the turn. He's not going anywhere. Even if he was drawing on the flop, he has his A now, and if he called that much on the flop with a draw, he's callling now.

I put him on a set of tens.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:51 PM

If he's the type of player that doesn't fold AT to a 3 bet when there's a pfr on that board, then to be honest, you picked the wrong guy to do it vs.