Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 06:35 AM

Default My opponent\'s bluffing frequency

I play in a 0.40/0.80€ home game (which is similar to 0.50/1 in U.S. dollars). Most of my opponents are typical low limit LPs but it seems that during the last few months some of them have improved their game. Instead of being the regular calling station, they've started leading the action themselves.

I've tried picking up patterns in their bluffing tendencies but have failed to find any. It seems there's no logic in their bluffing, they just go with the feeling. Sometimes they bluff in strange situations, like when I'm showing four to straight in 7 card stud and their board doesn't look scary at all. And I'm pretty sure their thinking hasn't reached that level when you could make this kind of play against a good opponent capable of folding a strong hand.

So my question is: What can I do about it? Should I rely on game theory or do you have something else in mind?

Thanks in advance,
Rozez
Old 08-06-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: My opponent\'s bluffing frequency

That's the best way for someone to bluff right there. I try to pick something random to go off when I find myself in a situation where I would bluff comes up. If I look at my watch and it's an even number minute or if I have 2 red / black cards in my hands I'll bluff and if there is a mix then I won't.

I don't know of any consistent method to mitigate bluffing randomly other then just nut peddling. You'll just have to start reading them better to see if you think they have it or not.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:42 PM

You're right, perhaps I should concentrate on improving my reading skills but I found an interesting section on game theory in TOP. Sklansky suggests using cards to randomize your bluffing frequency. Like in seven card stud you can pick some cards that you will bluff with if you get them.

Thanks for your post, I found that watch example rather amusing. Do you keep it on the table so it's easier to have a peek or are you constantly staring at your wrist? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've tried picking up patterns in their bluffing tendencies but have failed to find any. It seems there's no logic in their bluffing, they just go with the feeling. Sometimes they bluff in strange situations, like when I'm showing four to straight in 7 card stud and their board doesn't look scary at all. And I'm pretty sure their thinking hasn't reached that level when you could make this kind of play against a good opponent capable of folding a strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds you play too tight. From the home games I remember in college, once everyone figures out who the tightest player at the table is, that's the one they go after with these sorts of plays. Why? Because it will work. I wouldn't be surprised if either you have earned a reputation for making tough laydowns or you as the guy who "never plays a hand".
Old 08-06-2005, 02:37 PM

I think you misunderstood that part of my post. It's true that I might occassionally fold two pair on the river if that's what you mean by "a tough laydown". But in the example where I had a straight I wouldn't even consider folding for one bet.

And if we're talking about 7CS the structure of our game forces everyone to play loose.(Ante is half the size of SB)