Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 04:16 PM

Default another dubious blind play

MP 3 the same very loose player (seen all but two of last 60 flops). I called down because, though in general he is very passive, I caught him taking a shot at me earlier. Not sure about it though.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls.

Flop: (5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 08-05-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: another dubious blind play

If he is generally passive this would lean towards a fold. But with the type of VPIP he seems to have, I usually call down knowing he has little most of the time.

Whey you "caught him taking a shot" earlier, what did he show?
Old 08-05-2005, 04:22 PM

Do you have a read on the big blind?

There are many players who would almost never fold their big blind in this situation, and hence it is very important to identify whether raising really does anything at all here.

I like the idea of raising to isolate against the uber-fish. In fact, against what might be two random hands, I think that raising might be good solely from a value standpoint. A high rates to win more than its fair share here.

I won't really comment on the play beyond the turn because it's quite read dependent. Realize that the board is really scary, though, and that you're getting about 3.75 to 1 or so on a call down. You'll need to be right more than 1 time in 5 here, so you have to be pretty confident that you're going to catch a move a lot of the time. Note that you also cannot beat another A. Folding here is never going to be that bad against all but the most aggressive opponents, and your passive villain probably doesn't qualify.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:24 PM

I would play it the same. Nice hand.

-SmileyEH
Old 08-05-2005, 04:25 PM

Nothing. But it wasn't a raise, it was a donkbet on the river with a three flush showing. But I don't even know that he was thinking about the flush.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:26 PM

meh. I think yer probably beat, but if he likes to take shots, a pairing board is definitely the right place to do it, so I think the calldown isn't bad.