Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: My 2 years

[ QUOTE ]
you got luck to have run well and shouldn't be advising people to do the same. the opposite can happen too. I took a shot at 30/60 over the last 2 days and dropped 100 bets in 1000 hands. those things can happen. you are lucky to have run well to start. it doesn't mean everyone should do what you did. it took me a lot of time to build up $6000 at 10/20 only to lose it in 1000 hands at 30/60. it sucks.

the thing about poker is it takes over and it wraps itself around our egos. when we run good we think we're the best and when we run bad we suck and should just give up. when we take a shot and get lucky, everyone should take a shot. when we lose people should be conservative. when it comes down to it, you're on a high and are making recommentations made on a sample of 1, which is you getting lucky. bk made a post about this a while back asking why low limit players haven't moved up. kurosh made a post saying how easy shorthanded games are and how he'll never play full again AFTER ONE SESSION. I have run good at 10/20 6m and tell people that the game is easy. of course it's easy when you're running hot. people are strange like that.

the rest of your post is inspiring and nice, but odn't give advice based on you getting lucky. losing a nice chunk of your roll is devastating, especially if you're taking a shot at a game,w here you have little or no edge.

now also consider you've played 40k hands. at that game that's gotta have a SD of like 20 or 22, so you're looking at a SD of 1 over your sample. it's extremely volatile. so as good as you've run, you can run just as bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the best posts I've seen you make, and I think you make a lot of good posts.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember a month ago when we went out for some food and we're walking down the street drunk and high and just having a great time; we walked by a homeless guy near your apartment and you stopped and offered to bring him back some food. Given the state of humanity, especially in Los Angeles, your selflessness shocked me. (and run) as well you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes,it's wonderful to consider spending $5 (now that you have won big bucks) to buy a homeless person a meal.

Ever consider doing something for the many people that had no transportation because you stole their bikes?

Good post, way to be honest. You were a prick then - what are you now?

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I remember a month ago when we went out for some food and we're walking down the street drunk and high and just having a great time; we walked by a homeless guy near your apartment and you stopped and offered to bring him back some food. Given the state of humanity, especially in Los Angeles, your selflessness shocked me. (and run) as well you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes,it's wonderful to consider spending $5 (now that you have won big bucks) to buy a homeless person a meal.

Ever consider doing something for the many people that had no transportation because you stole their bikes?

Good post, way to be honest. You were a prick then - what are you now?

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He had the courage and strength of character to recognize, admit and learn from his terrible mistakes in the past. You and others in this thread, however, only had the courage to be what is essentially an anonymous douchebag. Which is more difficult? Which demonstrates a better development in character? Which deserves our respect more?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:19 PM

Virtually everyone on this site is anonymous and a large percentage are douchebags. Going from thieving to not thieving does not necessarily reveal some tremendous "courage and strength of character." There is something to be said for never having thieved in the first place. I think the best response to the original story is to try to refrain from being too judgmental, be thankful that the guy has (hopefully permanently) changed his ways for the better, but not go too overboard in congratulating somebody for no longer stealing to pay for a gambling addiction.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it was a better chair and i never got caught!

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be so proud
I hope you and Klepton have your stuff stolen soon
Old 08-05-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He had the courage and strength of character to recognize, admit and learn from his terrible mistakes in the past. You and others in this thread, however, only had the courage to be what is essentially an anonymous douchebag. Which is more difficult? Which demonstrates a better development in character? Which deserves our respect more?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t find his post courageous in any way….I don’t like people who steal other people’s stuff

And, I think you’re way off calling someone a douchebag
Old 08-05-2005, 01:47 PM

No, I think jason is right... also how is wishing for someone to have their stuff stolen any better then just doing it yourself?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He had the courage and strength of character to recognize, admit and learn from his terrible mistakes in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, where did he do this, again? He said he wasn't proud of stealing bicycles, and that's about it. As far as I can tell, if he lost his poker bankroll he'd just start doing it again.

But he wouldn't be proud of it, though, so I guess that's okay.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it was a better chair and i never got caught!

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be so proud
I hope you and Klepton have your stuff stolen soon after having the living [censored] beaten out of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 08-05-2005, 01:51 PM

set myself up for a flaming here.

But say you run bad again... do you think you would go back to stealing. OR would you consider screwing someone over on a staking deal?

It is good that you have some remorse I guess. But it seems the only reason you quit stealing bikes is that you no longer need to.