Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: well I got arrested

[ QUOTE ]
Go to sleep. You have to walk to work in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

BTW - pay your parking tickets you cheap bastages
Old 08-05-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being stopped simply for walking down the street at night and being ordered to produce ID may not seem like all that an egregious violation of someone's rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does sound eggregious to me.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Part of police work is PREVENTING crime, correct? Checking to see why some dude is wandering through a residential area in the middle of the night seems to fall into this category to me. I've had it done, I don't mind. I'd prefer they understand what's going on in the neighborhood rather than taking 20minutes to respond when called for an actual crime.

If the cop is a dick about it, thats a different story, but when you start a conversation with a police officer with "is it illegal to ..." you're just asking for a problem.

I guess I'm just old fashioned
ThisHo

[/ QUOTE ]

Old fashioned? I can't tell from this post. A jackass? Yes, definitely.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is absurd. We live in a free society. Tell the cop it is none of his business (but in a polite way). You may still get arrested, but the cop will be violating your constitutional rights and you should win in court.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your freedoms have been so slowly but surely reduced in the US because of people's fear of crime, terrorism, etc... It's very sad. "Don't tread on me" has been replaced with "You have nothing to worry about if you have nothing to hide".
Old 08-05-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is absurd. We live in a free society. Tell the cop it is none of his business (but in a polite way). You may still get arrested, but the cop will be violating your constitutional rights and you should win in court.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your freedoms have been so slowly but surely reduced in the US because of people's fear of crime, terrorism, etc... It's very sad. "Don't tread on me" has been replaced with "You have nothing to worry about if you have nothing to hide".

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, you are right. Damn you Ashcroft. Oops, now I am on a FBI/CIA watch list. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-05-2005, 12:36 PM

Rule #1: Don't talk to cops.

Rule #2: Don't talk to cops.

Rule #3: Don't talk to cops.

Get the point?

Police have every right to try to talk to you, but you don't have any obligation to do so unless you are breaking the law. By walking down the street unidentified, you are doing nothing wrong. When they ask to see your ID, politely decline and walk away. They cannot do anything to you. If there was an APB or something out for you, then you might have to talk to them, though I wouldn't anyway. If they want to arrest you, ask them why you're being arrested and then let them, but tell them you want a lawyer first. Realize that police serve a single purpose in this country: to arrest people. They don't enforce justice (that's the court's job), they don't protect people. All they do is arrest people. DON'T TALK TO COPS!
Old 08-05-2005, 12:39 PM

Ew, Corvallis.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What did you do to get stopped?

This is why I hate cops. [censored] randomly questioning citizens without cause is bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you obligated to provide ID to police officers in the states? I know in Canada the only time you are obligated to provide ID is if you are suspected of having committed a crime or if the cop witnessed you commit a traffic offence. Cops will give you attitude if you don't provide ID when they ask for it, but that's about it.

I had the same sort that happened to the OP happen to me a couple of years ago. I was cutting through a park on my way home from my girlfriend's house and as I exited the park a cop car pulled up and slammed on his brakes in front of me and threw his lights on. I just stood there and looked at the cop like he was a retard. He got out of the car and asked me why I was out so late. I asked him if there was a law against being out so late. He looked really pissed that I had answered his question with a question. He then asked me for ID, which was simply to intimidate me. I asked him if he suspected that I had committed a crime. The a$$hole replied "That's what I'm trying to find out". I told him that he could follow me home if he wanted, but I wasn't going to give him my ID because I hadn't done anything wrong. I was only a block from my house, and the guy actually followed behind me at 5mph the whole way, to check if actually lived in the neighbourhood, I guess.

It's one thing to be vigilant, it's totally another thing to randomly hassle people on the street, hoping that you'll stumble upon a criminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of police work is PREVENTING crime, correct? Checking to see why some dude is wandering through a residential area in the middle of the night seems to fall into this category to me. I've had it done, I don't mind. I'd prefer they understand what's going on in the neighborhood rather than taking 20minutes to respond when called for an actual crime.

If the cop is a dick about it, thats a different story, but when you start a conversation with a police officer with "is it illegal to ..." you're just asking for a problem.

ThisHo

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thus spake a person who has never been in jail.

Sure, you may win in court. But if they feel like it, you are going to spend the next few hours locked up. It's +EV to just explain to them why you're walking around in a neighborhood in the middle of the night.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What did you do to get stopped?

This is why I hate cops. [censored] randomly questioning citizens without cause is bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you obligated to provide ID to police officers in the states? I know in Canada the only time you are obligated to provide ID is if you are suspected of having committed a crime or if the cop witnessed you commit a traffic offence. Cops will give you attitude if you don't provide ID when they ask for it, but that's about it.

I had the same sort that happened to the OP happen to me a couple of years ago. I was cutting through a park on my way home from my girlfriend's house and as I exited the park a cop car pulled up and slammed on his brakes in front of me and threw his lights on. I just stood there and looked at the cop like he was a retard. He got out of the car and asked me why I was out so late. I asked him if there was a law against being out so late. He looked really pissed that I had answered his question with a question. He then asked me for ID, which was simply to intimidate me. I asked him if he suspected that I had committed a crime. The a$$hole replied "That's what I'm trying to find out". I told him that he could follow me home if he wanted, but I wasn't going to give him my ID because I hadn't done anything wrong. I was only a block from my house, and the guy actually followed behind me at 5mph the whole way, to check if actually lived in the neighbourhood, I guess.

It's one thing to be vigilant, it's totally another thing to randomly hassle people on the street, hoping that you'll stumble upon a criminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

ThisHo

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thus spake a person who has never been in jail.

Sure, you may win in court. But if they feel like it, you are going to spend the next few hours locked up. It's +EV to just explain to them why you're walking around in a neighborhood in the middle of the night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never been in jail.

After saying that I will also say that the approach above is very dangerous in that it legitimizes the illeagal actions of the police officer who is being a dick in this situation. I'll reffer you to Jakes quote above.