Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: You go, Jimmy C!

This is so typical of this forum. When a serious study show something that goes counter to what you would like to believe, you blame the media. Instead you choose another, non scientific source (what you've heard from US soldiers). Take a look at the article if you are really interested. But I suspect you perfer to live in fantasy land.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:33 AM

"serious study" from the Boston Globe...You'll forgive me if I don't exactly believe the results. But let's say that you're correct. This still means that 55% don't support their tactics (tactics that have probably killed thousands, including children).

And another thing. So what if there are 45% that support the insurgents. That doesn't have much to do with their support for Saddam (you know, that guy we liberated them from?). So my statement stands. Let's fly Carter to Iraq and have him march up and down the streets telling the Iraqis that their new-found freedom is "unnecessary" and "unjust"...
Old 08-03-2005, 03:15 AM

If they support the insurgents, it's very unlikely that they feel "liberated" by the US, wouldn't you say?

I'm sure a majority was opposed to Saddam, but that does not mean they wanted the invation. The whole country is in pieces and many hundreds of thousands have died and are going to die.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If they support the insurgents, it's very unlikely that they feel "liberated" by the US, wouldn't you say?

I'm sure a majority was opposed to Saddam, but that does not mean they wanted the invation. The whole country is in pieces and many hundreds of thousands have died and are going to die.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right, i mean in the last Iraq election prior to the liberation, Saddam won 100% of the vote. Obviously he was the best person for Iraq.

Your "many hundreds of thousands have died and are going to die" comment is a another gem. Even if this is remotely true, it still is better then the MILLIONS that Saddam had killed. Big difference between thousands and millions.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I wouldn't say this at all. I'd say that those who approved of the insurgents tactics would still say they were liberated. They just want the Coalition forces out. BIG difference.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Everyone in Iraq at this moment will die eventually. What's your point? The country, in case you didn't notice, wasn't in the greatest shape before the war. The difference is we're actively working to clean up the pre and post war mess. Saddam was too busy building palaces and bribing the U.N.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Carter here. I'm glad someone as mainstream as he is tells it like it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha. That's funny. Jimmy Carter is mainstream?

That anyone thinks positively of him is beyond me. Mouthing feelgood platitudes doesn't hide the fact that he was a terrible, feckless president who is in the running for worst president of the 20th century. Yet he is revered. He is a woefully ignorant idealist, but he says nice things.

natedogg
Old 08-04-2005, 04:38 PM

I don't have any problem with someone's opposition to the War in Iraq, but it drives me crazy when I hear people talking about Abu Ghraib, and Guantanamo Bay.

We have a lot more important things to worry about than some prisoners being forced to make a naked pyramid. Ted Kennedy is out of line for calling the Abu Ghraib incident a "tragedy."

Guantanamo Bay is where suspected terrorists are held. The rights of the "people" (term used loosely) held there should be the last thing we worry about. I want to hear a plan on how to fix Social Security from Ted Kennedy, Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer, or Harry "kkk" Reid. I'm much more concerned with the future of Social Security than terrorists' rights to honey baked turkey dinners (I believe honey baked turkey is on the menu for Thursdays at "gitmo." I wish I could eat like that).

I'm going on a tangent now, but the media sickens me in general. Why are thousands of hours dedicated to Natalie Holloway (spelling?). In the time that one girl dissappeared several thousand other kids have been kidnapped. We need a news station that brings us the important issues, and not this flashy, emotional crap.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ted Kennedy is out of line for calling the Abu Ghraib incident a "tragedy."

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it incorrect to call it a tragedy? What do you mean by "out of line"? Kennedy's said and done some wacky things through the years, but this wasn't one of them.

I wish the events at Abu Ghraib had never happened - don't you?

-ptmusic
Old 08-04-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ha. That's funny. Jimmy Carter is mainstream?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, to be elected president in the US, you must be part of the mainstream.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:36 PM

???????????????