Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 01:29 PM

Default new to MTTs - two hands

both from this week's Party Super Monday. I caught the MTT bug after winning a seat to the WSOP ME and won an SNG qualifier to my first Super. I'm confident I did the right thing in both cases but curious whether there's an argument for playing either hand differently.

Hand one -

level 6. blinds are 75/150 with ~300 players left (avg. stack is ~3k) and I've got 4745. short-stacked villian (T1250) who was just moved to the table less than an orbit ago and hasn't played a hand yet open-raises to 450 in EP. I have AKo in MP and re-raise to 1300 essentially forcing villian to call all-in. If it matters villian hasn't seen me play a hand since he's been at the table either.

Any reason to call and see a flop here with position on villian? Was I right in thinking I should get all his chips in here so he couldn't check-fold a flop that doesn't hit with 2/3 of his stack remaining? Or is it even better to push to make sure I isolate villian? the player to my immed. left has 4600 and the BB has 5900.

Hand two -

a few hands later we're 8 handed with blinds still 75/150. I'm down to 3225. Bad player who I've watched slowly bleed off chips limping or calling pre-flop raises then check-folding most flops, open pushes for 1550 after three folds. Folded to me on the button with JJ and I push to shut out the blinds. Small blind has 4450 and BB has 2900.

Again, any reason to just call here? Although this is the first time I've seen the loose-passive villian raise I obviously never considered folding. This one is more of a no-brainer in my mind but thought I'd better check.

thanks.

-Jeff
Old 08-04-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: new to MTTs - two hands

Hand 1 - you want to put him to a decision for all his chips PF while shutting out those behind you. I like it.
You really want to see all 5 cards with your hand and not just a flop, while putting maximum pressure on the villian.

Hand 2 - Again, you want to isolate with JJ as is your read is right on him being a donk you are ahead of his range.

Both look good.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-04-2005, 02:40 PM

#1 - I like it. You're in pretty good shape against his probable hand range and you're putting the pressure back on him. Not to mention how much AK likes to see all 5 cards...

#2 - Good push. Why would you call for 1/3 of your stack?
Old 08-04-2005, 03:01 PM

I like both plays. I agree with your train of thought.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:24 PM

I like the first hand. Not sure about the second. You say you're read is he was loose but passive and you never saw him raise. How many hands are we talking about? Why do you think JJ is ahead of his range of raising hands? When a player who loves to limp even when the pot is being raised often suddenly goes all in for the first time, I'm thinking at best my JJ is looking at a coin flip.

Just because he's bad doesn't mean he's pushing with A rag here. In my experience when loose passive players who never raise, raise, JJ is way behind.