Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: airport 1hr prior to flight? does anyone do this?

bring a book. Get there EARLY. It sucks having to rush through an airport and then find a line for check-in, and a line for security, and then you become "that guy" who thinks he's more important than everyone else and is bitching about the line and trying to push his way to the front with the "hey, if I don't get up there I'm gonna miss my flight" crap.

Just get there at least an hour early, bring a good book or your laptop and hang out with a cup of coffee/tea/soda.

~ThisHo
Old 08-04-2005, 01:36 PM

the inconvenience of being a tad too early for your flight is much better than the disaster than can occur if you miss your flight.

unless you're doing something critically important in the hours before your flight leaves, why would you risk missing your flight?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the inconvenience of being a tad too early for your flight is much better than the disaster than can occur if you miss your flight.

unless you're doing something critically important in the hours before your flight leaves, why would you risk missing your flight?

[/ QUOTE ]

he's obviously multitabling. time=money.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:56 PM

The first problem is that if you haven't checked in and received a boarding pass 15 min before the scheduled flight departure, then your seat is up for grabs to standbys at the airline's discretion.

The second problem is the risk/reward ratio. If you save a half hour by arriving 30 min later, and still make your flight, all you have gained is 30 minutes of personal time. However, if you don't make your flight -- you don't make your flight. Then you are theoretically at the mercy of the airline's policies. At best, you'll have a much LONGER wait for the next flight. At worst, you will have to pay a fee AND wait LONGER for the next, or even next, next, next flight.

You are risking money and hours upon hours to win 30 min. Bad odds.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:35 PM

You definitely need at least an hour and a half at Bergstrom. 2 hours is better.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:39 PM

1 hour is an absolute minimum. I primarily fly out of Dulles and 1.5/2 is better (i don't know how Austin is, some small airports are fine, some (like Providence) are pretty bad).

Bring a fine 2+2 product to read after getting through security, it will be relaxing AND educational [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 02:46 PM

I think it something that is unpredictable. I get to Seatac at least an hour before when I leave for somewhere but usually only takes 20 minutes to get to the gate. I've gotten through O'Hare in 15 mintues and Lambert in under a half hour, but its also taken me an hour to get through Lambert. So to sum up....it depends on factors that are unpredictable.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
some small airports are fine, some (like Providence) are pretty bad).

[/ QUOTE ]

Flying from Providence Sunday night. You recommend getting there more than an hour in advance?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:57 PM

Sunday night isn't too bad USUALLY. However, they make you sit around and watch your bags go through the explosive sniffer. That's 10-15 if it's not busy, 20-30 if it is. Add 20-30 minutes in the security line if it is busy and you get pretty antsy. I fly through there when I visit my parents and I've had wait times of about 20,20,50,80 minutes for either Sunday or Monday nights. (20, 20 and 80 on Sunday)
Old 08-04-2005, 03:04 PM

Dulles Airport is the worst airport in the U.S. You need 2 hrs minimum, especially if you're flying United at a peak time. They should abandon those terminals and rebuild like they did in Pittsburgh.