Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Calling a Raise w/78s in SB

I think you're right. What would happen in this hand if the seats were reversed, and hero was on the button w/ 78s? How hard would the decision be on the river? Playing the medium suited connectors from the blinds leads to these kinds of murky decisions when you hit your hand halfway.

fwiw, I don't like the river bet. What could these people be calling with on earlier streets that the Td missed completely given this board?

Or maybe I'm missing something too?
Old 08-04-2005, 05:38 AM

Flop a strong draw and you get to lead and potentially trap a bunch of people between you and the PFR. Flop a pair on a non-coordinated flop and you get the opportunity to check and see the action, expecting the not uncommon result that it is checked to the PFR and you get to C/R to protect your hand. You've got good position to pump the flop with a strong draw and protect a weak made hand when that's what flops instead.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:02 AM

Good points.

Think this outweighs not being able to trap on BB streets with a made hand though?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:45 AM

This pretty sums up my thinking for the preflop call.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an auto fold if we're raised on the end, right? CO's line is consistent with a frush draw, and of course it'd never be a surprise to see someone donking the one card straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are obviously strong possibilities if someone raises, but getting like 20 to 1 if its one bet back to me is an easy call. If it's 2 bets back to me, I guess a fold may be in order, right?

Does anyone feel a check/call is better? I bet at the end because the pot was so big that the villians would call me with any piece of the board, so I might as well get some more bets in. Also, the LRR by UTG is usually indicative of a big pair or big cards, so BB was the one I was more concerned about.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is an auto fold if we're raised on the end, right? CO's line is consistent with a frush draw, and of course it'd never be a surprise to see someone donking the one card straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are obviously strong possibilities if someone raises, but getting like 20 to 1 if its one bet back to me is an easy call. If it's 2 bets back to me, I guess a fold may be in order, right?

Does anyone feel a check/call is better? I bet at the end because the pot was so big that the villians would call me with any piece of the board, so I might as well get some more bets in. Also, the LRR by UTG is usually indicative of a big pair or big cards, so BB was the one I was more concerned about.

[/ QUOTE ]

The river doesn't make any additional straights possible. If someone made their flush, they are going to raise. Anyone with a set or a straight already (or TT), is probably just calling. If your hand is good, none of your opponents are likely going to bet.
I like the bet, but only if you can stomach folding to a raise.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good points.

Think this outweighs not being able to trap on BB streets with a made hand though?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are of course also advantages to being on PFR's immediate right. But you often still can trap from his immediate left when you get to act first -- you lead and get callers pushing chips in one bet at a time when PFR raises, or you at least get one from some when he doesn't. On his right, it's a great feeling when you make your hand on the turn, check to the PFR who bets and gets callers and you pop it. It's a horrible feeling when he checks and takes his free look at the river. Point is both spots have potential advantages and disadvantages -- but I'd much rather be on his immediate left or right than I would having one or two in between us each way -- really just pointing out that the fact that this hand is played from the SB with the PFR last-to-act post-flop is a pretty darn good relative position for a hand with great speculative value and a better than average spot for a hand that will flop at best a marginal hand when it doesn't flop a decent draw and you get a chance to decide how to play the marginal hand depedning on flop texture, etc.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:44 PM

I think I fold PF -

I like the rest of it though.