Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 11:12 PM

Default How badly did I over play my B ig Slick?

This is literally my first hand at the table. I dont know why I played it the way I do and for that reason I know it was horrible play. I feel i completely over played it and by the time I saw the river I was sure my opponent would flip over Jacks (for trips) or Queens. I was certain that I lost 30 bucks and was about to flip.

Luckly, my opponent here was over playing even more and I suspect him to have AQ to KQ.

In the long run, this is bad play though, right?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) converter

UTG ($6.20)
MP ($24.35)
CO ($60.65)
Button ($9.75)
SB ($8)
Hero ($30)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, CO calls $20.

Flop: ($60.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: ($60.75) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($60.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $60.75
Old 08-03-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Re: How badly did I over play my B ig Slick?

fold AK to reraises in no limit hold'em, unless you've seen the guy go nuts pf with less than premium hands or he is short stacked.

on the long run, you will get aa/kk'ed too often, AK or QQ/JJ when you are lucky, and lesser hands when you are playing uber donks.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

on the long run, you will get aa/kk'ed too often, AK or QQ/JJ when you are lucky, and lesser hands when you are playing uber donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think one of those lesser hands is what I ran into this time. The kid was fairly high stack too, perhaps he was on tilt and just decided to go for it. I was shocked he didnt have me beat though....
Old 08-03-2005, 11:27 PM

Just call preflop (the initial bet). Why?

You get to play a strong hand very well disguised.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:55 PM

I dont understand why you dont just call in this situation, generally in low limit people raise very few hands and AK is not a very good re raising hand against an unknown player. In the long run i think re raising here will lose you money.
Noah
Old 08-04-2005, 12:06 AM

re-raising pre-flop oop with Ak is bad imho. u have built a big pot oop and if u do hit your hand it will be quite obvious to anyone with a brain.

re-raising with slick in position can be +EV. it's just a preferance thing.

ps: when u buy in to a game, please buy in for more than 60bbs.