Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Thoughts about moving up....

I am thinking about moving up, from 0.50/1.00 to 1.00/2.00.

What would you say the requirements are to consider yourself comfortable that you are beating a level? I know that this will be very different for different people, but give your thoughts. Also I acknowledge that it would vary by level (i.e. you may be able to beat .50/1.00 for 6bb/100 and consider yourself ready to move on, where as at 5.00/10.00 to consider yourself an expert you may only need 2.5 bb/100).

(P.S. right now I am at about 5,000 hands and 4.0bb/100, and I am not feeling comfortable, but I want to know the thoughts of others to tell if I am being paranoid or not. My thought is that I should be beating it for 5-6 bb/100 for 10,000 hands before considering moving up.)

Amy
Old 08-03-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Thoughts about moving up....

Winrates are moot in SH games except for very large sample sizes. Move up 1) when the money isn't scary and 2) when you feel like you can outplay the higher level.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:12 PM

My bankroll is over $3k now, so the money is not the scary thing. However I am looking for guidance on when / how you become confident in your skills? (I am talking about you here, not me, so please tell me how you knew when you were ready?, i.e. did you take a shot and didn't lose your bankroll so that is how you knew, or was it something else?)

Amy
Old 08-03-2005, 06:15 PM

I read a couple books, posted here a lot, and took a shot at 5/10 6max (from 2/4 full). It was successful enough. The scary thing is I could have lost my entire bankroll? I guess I got lucky.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:20 PM

Move up already! If you run bad, move back down. The main danger for most people when playing higher is stubbornness. As long as you are willing to move back down if things go horribly, then move up. You have a 1500 BB BR for the new limit.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:23 PM

Yeah wtf I had 3K when I took my shot at 5/10.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:28 PM

If you still don't feel comfortable, play more hands, but it looks like you are definitely beating the level. I tend to prefer taking shots at the next level. Worst thing that happens you lose 100BB and consider stepping back down to refine your game.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:52 PM

You are clearly considering moving up, which in and of itself is a sign you think you might be ready. You have the money (by the way, what's up with that? $3k and you're playing 50c/$1? Wow.) and you have beaten the small game for a while.

I can't see any reason not to have a go at the bigger game. With a $3k roll, I would be trying my best to get to the $3/6 game ASAP, so play each limit until you realise there are no good players in any of the games, and then move up.

Guy.