Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Tables of Gold and Nothing to Show for It

[ QUOTE ]
For those who responded intelligently so far (and in the future), thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're welcome.

[ QUOTE ]
To the rest of you, get a life and accept the fact that some people are just looking for help.

[/ QUOTE ]
And some people are looking to blow off their frustrations. I must say I've seen better attempts than 'Gee, should I really have gotten all in with AA preflop against these morons?'

[ QUOTE ]
So my question is, against morons like this, should I NOT be trying to get all of my money into the pot with what is almost guaranteed to be the best hands?

[/ QUOTE ]
You know exactly what you should and shouldn't do. No one here told you anything you didn't already know, and no one learnt anything from reading your post.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
JJ: $30 stack against Idiot #1. He raises to $2, all fold, I go all-in, knowing that he has a worse hand and he'll call me. He shows AQo and hits a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call the raise, and bet pot-sized into the loose raiser when no overcards hit the board (unless the K hit on the flop, then you can lead out or not depending on your read or position). In fact, there are a lot of players on this forum that will limp JJ UTG and call a reraise from behind them playing primarily for set value because it can be a vulnerable hand out of position post flop. On the other hand, there are poster that will reraise a very loose raiser if they have JJ in late position. But I doubt even those guys would go all in on a $3 pot.

Except for the fact that your read led you to believe that you'd get a ton of action here from bad hands, betting a $30 stack into a $2 or $3 pot is a bad idea. Plus, your read was only partially correct here because his hand wasn't as terrible as you thought it was. Although I wouldn't recommend calling an all in with AQo any more than I'd recommend going all in with JJ, you're play was probably almost as bad villain's here.

In this case, the "Idiot" villain actually had a pretty good chance to win.

Holdem Hi: 1712304 enumerated boards
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Ac Qd 727947 42.51 978874 57.17 5483 0.32 0.427
Js Jh 978874 57.17 727947 42.51 5483 0.32 0.573

Plus, at a tight table - and there are some tight tables at PP NL$25 depending on the time of day and the day of the week - your only getting action here with a huge over bet preflop from QQ (unlikely from a decent player unless he has a read on YOU as being bad preflop), KK or AA. Against even the worst of those three, you're dominated.

Holdem Hi: 1712304 enumerated boards
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Qc Qd 1388618 81.10 317538 18.54 6148 0.36 0.813
Js Jh 317538 18.54 1388618 81.10 6148 0.36 0.187

The AA and KK hands look fine.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:24 AM

Thanks, Albert.

Under normal conditions I would never overbet a pot like this with JJ. My decision here was based on three factors:

1) He raised utg and everyone folded to me in the small blind. In Harrington's book he talks about using an all-in occasionally to eliminate positional disadvantages after the flop.
2) I knew it was a gamble that he might be holding a big hand, but also that he would call with any trash pair or weak suited cards.
3) He had been talking big after giving a couple of people bad beats, and had just said that he was going to take my stack away. I knew that he would call me, specifically, with anything.

So yes, he did turn over a bigger hand than I thought I was going to see. C'est la vie. I'll try to play it a little better next time.