Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Lessons to take from thebadguy

[ QUOTE ]
Position is of the essence, so get a seat change button the second you sit down.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the foundation for dealing with such players. Online this means that you should frequently be willing to pass a seat on a very good table with poor position relative to such a player and put yourself back on the list. Read Ray Zee's comments in his articles and in the archives regarding just how important seat position is to your chances of beating a particular table. This also includes your position relative not just to smarter lags but also to tags.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:13 AM

Default No....

[ QUOTE ]
Fabulous post, brother. Thanks for taking the time. I'm going to read that one a few times.

And this is simple, but it makes a lot of sense:

[ QUOTE ]
Thabadguy says he is a winning player, and I have no reason not to believe him. I can tell you that I would love to buy into that game for 1K, but it would be a lot harder with 10K.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm new to mid-NL limits and the role of stack size has not yet fully dawned on me.

Thanks again,

Marlow

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I feel compelled to reply to this guy...

I post here to help people get better at poker. This not only entails posting good advice but also dispelling bad advice. The advice that Post-Oak has been giving the past two days, on the whole, has the potential to pollute the minds of players. Taking his approach to the game puts a ceiling on how well you can play and does not allow a person to truly understanding poker.

I'm not cutting on the guy to make myself feel good or make him feel bad. I want to make him and other 2+2er's better. Sometimes, that requires brutal honesty. The truth is that, while some of the things that he has been saying are correct under some circumstances, a lot of what he has been saying has not been correct.

So, if I had the choice of ignoring everything that he has said the past two days or believing everything that he has said the past two days, I would CERTAINLY do the former...

Again, I hate coming off as petty, because I certainly am not. Hope there are no hard feelings...

ML4L
Old 08-03-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: No....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fabulous post, brother. Thanks for taking the time. I'm going to read that one a few times.

And this is simple, but it makes a lot of sense:

[ QUOTE ]
Thabadguy says he is a winning player, and I have no reason not to believe him. I can tell you that I would love to buy into that game for 1K, but it would be a lot harder with 10K.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm new to mid-NL limits and the role of stack size has not yet fully dawned on me.

Thanks again,

Marlow

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I feel compelled to reply to this guy...

I post here to help people get better at poker. This not only entails posting good advice but also dispelling bad advice. The advice that Post-Oak has been giving the past two days, on the whole, has the potential to pollute the minds of players. Taking his approach to the game puts a ceiling on how well you can play and does not allow a person to truly understanding poker.

I'm not cutting on the guy to make myself feel good or make him feel bad. I want to make him and other 2+2er's better. Sometimes, that requires brutal honesty. The truth is that, while some of the things that he has been saying are correct under some circumstances, a lot of what he has been saying has not been correct.

So, if I had the choice of ignoring everything that he has said the past two days or believing everything that he has said the past two days, I would CERTAINLY do the former...

Again, I hate coming off as petty, because I certainly am not. Hope there are no hard feelings...

ML4L

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, the mind of an advanced NL HE player is a bizzare and backward place. There are so many concepts that I think I "know" and work very well in the games that I've played in that translate poorly to these higher limits. Honestly, it's like learning a completely new game in some respects.

So, with that said, I'm very grateful to anyone who is willing to spend the kind of time that you and Oak have. Even a single piece of good advice can translate into thousands of dollars made or saved over a short period of time. Honestly I can't really sort out what's "right" here, but I'm at least armed with two very good and thorough arguments. As I gain expereince, I'll go back to this string and see what rings true for me.

So many of the forums on 2+2 are junk. This forum is not only gold, it's usually a delight to read. No one here just doles out the same advice over and over again. People here are willing to think deeply about a subject and then post honestly.

What more could I possibly want?

Marlow
Old 08-03-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Re: No....

No hard feelings ML4L - you're just stating your honest opinion.

On some of these point we'll just have to "agree to disagree", because I think we've discussed it all we could.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Lessons to take from thebadguy

[ QUOTE ]
it's definitely a limit term, like 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

just wanted to highlight this gem of humor. made my morning [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]