Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 05:24 PM

Default 10-High Flush: fold, call, or all-in?

I think this might be my first post in this forum. I've been concentrating on my NL ring game lately.

I thought this was an interesting hand. $25 buy-in.

Villian is a maniac, but I've been at the table awhile and he knows I'll push. He had cracked my QQ when he flopped trips and I went all-in. I rebought and had worked my way back, mostly against him. His stack had dwindled from $120 in 30 minutes or so.

Not much of a read on MP3, but he seemed solid.

I should point out that until about 4 weeks ago, I played primarily limit ring games at Party, reading and rereading SSHE. I play a lot of NL MTTs at Stars, and used to play a lot of SnGs but not anymore.

Comments on all streets welcome.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

Hero ($41.20)
BB ($32.95)
UTG ($9.80)
UTG+1 ($10)
Villain ($42.28)
MP1 ($48)
MP2 ($39.70)
MP3 ($13.90)
CO ($24.25)
Button ($38.80)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Villain calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0.25, MP3 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

I am consistently completing from the SB with any two suited cards. This is a play straight from SSHE, and my plan is to stop when I move up in NL levels, which probably isn't anytime soon. This play seems to be OK at $25.

Flop: ($1.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $0.25</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, BB folds.

Middle pair, and a backdoor flush draw. It's a loose call, but Villain normally bets big on the river. I would probably call here against most players, though.

Turn: ($2) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $0.25</font>, MP3 calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25.

Flush draw. Easy call.

River: ($2.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $20</font>, MP3 calls $13.15 (all-in), Hero ...

He took a few seconds before betting, which was unusual. I went for the c/r, since villain normally bet the pot on the river.

But then he seriously overbet the pot, which was not something he had been doing, and MP3 called all-in. In no way did I expect this kind of action.

I really had no way to put MP3 on a range of hands, but I figured he had at least a set, and maybe a straight. I really thought I had him beat.

With his river bet, I was pretty sure Villain had a flush.

What's your play here?
Old 08-02-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: 10-High Flush: fold, call, or all-in?

pot the turn, semi-bluff

pot the river for value

as played, call the river...villain has KJ
Old 08-02-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pot the turn, semi-bluff

pot the river for value

as played, call the river...villain has KJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the turn bet. He was betting the pot on the river in this situation 95% of the time, so don't I get more out of this by checking here?

Villain did not have KJ, but if you put him on that then I should raise all-in, right? We each had @ $20 left.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:07 PM

Well, I would call in a heartbeat, but my game has serious holes which is why I'm here.

Still... you went runner-runner. Pretty deceptive. You really think villain holds Kx, Qx, or Jx of hearts? I would personally be a lot more worried about MP. I don't see how you could get away from this one, with only 3 possible better flushes (I'm willing to pay off a runner-runner straight flush), and while you're getting such good odds.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:23 PM

Would MP3 call with anything less than a flush?

My gut tells me villian had something like Kx[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] because of the overbet. Heads up, I think I would call, but with MP3 already calling and you getting less that 2:1 on your money, I think you should fold.

btw - You gotta raise the turn as a semi-bluff. The hand will play differently based on the others reactions to it and their moves on the river.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:07 AM

I called. Villain had 6h 4h for the lower flush, and MP3 had KJ. I shoulda pushed.

I guess the pf SB complete is OK at these levels.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:03 AM

I think at worst you put the MP guy on a flush that could be higher than yours. With the villain playing crazy and a standard bet for him, I think you re raise all in because you are ahead of him. Even if MP has you beat he is all in. If you believe MP has you beat and Villan does not it is positive value for you to raise to 40 and move all in. You may be donating the 13 on the river bet to the MP but will win 27 off the villian with a stronger hand