Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Regarding SSHE

I've read and reread SSHE, but i was wondering what do you all think the most important sections are for a new player to study in depth? I just started playing about 10 days ago and because of the book im playing pretty much break-even poker, but i'd like to get better(obviously). I'm playing at Paradise Poker .50/1$, if it matters.
Thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Regarding SSHE

I've never really read much of it, but bet and raise a lot is pretty good advice. Most players when they learn how to play tight automatically play weak/tight.

-SmileyEH
Old 08-02-2005, 09:41 PM

that whole book is very informative. understand the concepts behind the hand quizzes part. just start posting hands here and u will improve
Old 08-02-2005, 09:47 PM

Understand all the hand quizzes and the reasoning behind each move. To get the most from it though, will be to play a lot and keep coming back to the book until you understand every single concept in there with your own experience to back it up. It will take a while but it's worth it in $$$.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:29 PM

I would suggest that you study a book like "getting started in holdem", or "winning low limit holdem", which you may find provides a good foundation of fundamentals that will come in handy when you try to apply the strategies in SSH.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:28 PM

Definitely the hand quizzes like the others say. Although starting hand stuff is basic and isn't the most important part of your game (although its the foundation, so I guess it kinda is...), make sure you start off understanding the concepts behind it, dont' just read off of a chart regarding what you should do w/ x-hand. But basically the whole book is great, the parts about protecting your hand are very very valuable.

I just finished reading the book for the 4th time, and I don't really think alot of the stuff started clicking until I was reading it for the 3rd time. Of course I had a month or so in between reads which gave me ample time to play hands and have parts of the book come back to me as I'm playing.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:48 AM

Just keep on reading and rereading it and playing and playing. But to answer your question, "Large Pots vs. Small Pots" and "Protecting Your Hand" made the biggest difference for me. Also, invest in Sklansky's Theory of Poker book.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest that you study a book like "getting started in holdem", or "winning low limit holdem", which you may find provides a good foundation of fundamentals that will come in handy when you try to apply the strategies in SSH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly the right advice. Forget SSH for the moment and get the fundamentals down. Advice about reading this chapter and that chapter in SSH is kind of dumb. You have to have the basics down first. Preflop is very basic, yet advanced for the new player. 2+2ers tend to minimize the importance of learning good preflop play because many know it forwards and backwards. If it involves consulting a chart, then you DO NOT know it, flat out.

SSH is overrated for the beginner and underrated for the experienced. The beginner needs to start a tad lower and the experienced need to take it a lot more seriously, IMHO.

One thing is for sure. You are in the wrong forum for your level. Grab a copy of Ed's new book, play micro limits, post hands you find questionable/irritating, develop a thick skin for these forums in general, and play poker! You're in the right neighborhood, wrong house.

Onaflag............
Old 08-03-2005, 04:42 AM

I like Winning Low Limit Hold'em for the beginner. But please, for the love of God, move your focus back to Small Stakes Hold'em after about 5 - 10 thousand hands. I learned hold'em with Winning Low Limit Hold'em because there were no other good alternatives at the time. I took it as the Bible of poker at the time. The play suggested is so weak and passive, and because I relied on the information as the absolute truth, it took me sooo long to reprogram myself into a more aggressive player and into a bigger winner. So I recommend it, but realize it is only a stepping stone.

And as far as preflop play, Ed's book does an excellent job in teaching the beginner. As far as a chart, most every student of hold'em learns with a chart. Even myself learning preflop with Lee Jones used his chart. Small Stakes Hold'em goes beyond the chart anyway.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Update

Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I went out and bought Getting Started in Hold'em, and my game has markedly improved in the last couple of days. Granted, it could all be luck, but i still feel like i understand some things better than i did before. I've begun rereading SSHE and practicing more than ever. I just finished clearing my first bonus at Paradise Poker by playing 1000 raked hands, and i actually showed a profit in addition to the bonus! Anyways, just thought i'd let ya'll know whats goin on.