Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: PUSH OR FOLD???
POOOOSH!! 100 69.93%
FOOOOLD!!! 43 30.07%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Who\'s The Best Live Rock Band In The World Right Now?

[ QUOTE ]
pj baby

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. I can't believe it took this long.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I voted U2. While I've never seen them live in person, I really enjoy several of their live songs. I don't care if they're mainstream. I don't care if every teenage girl in this country listens to them. I don't care if their guitar riffs are uncomplicated. I don't care that maybe they aren't "underground" or "on the cutting edge of music." I don't care if liking them makes me "not cool."

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god. Very refreshing. Too many losers get their entire identity from music. Things leads to them doing anything possible to appear cool musically, because hey that's what makes up their entire being. It's funny watching people get noticeably mad when you say you like a group like U2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I grew up with U2, and I like their old stuff, and their new stuff is pretty catchy.

That doesn't change the fact that I f'n hate U2 and hope they would be locked in a Siberian gulag for 20 years.

I'm not an indie music fan, but U2 is grossly overexposed now. Every goddamn station is playing them constantly, from the "new music" stations to the "classic rock".

Their old stuff is classic, without a doubt. Their new stuff is good, and some of it has the potential to be classic. But if I hear "Vertigo" one more time, or hear one more self-righteous speech, I going to fly to Ireland and beat those self-righteous teabaggers to death with their own overpriced instruments.

Edit: And yes, this is horrible, this poll.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:50 PM

I'll put in my vote for Muse.

The show I saw was just amazing and the Hulabaloo in Paris I saw on DVD was very good too.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:53 PM

Ween shows are great. They have an incredible range of genres and manage to make it all work in their live shows. Ween also does the best covers bar none. The only mark against them is they insist on playing their joke songs: HIV/AIDS, Mister have you seen my pony?, etc. For those who haven't heard of this "obscure" band you can check them out free at ween radio.

Best shows I ever saw, this was back in the day so it's not in contention, were the Butthole Surfers. Best psychedelic band ever.

raisins
Old 08-02-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people only look at the biggest, most popular bands for polls like this? Doesn't anyone here appreciate music that is not made by famous people? Christ.

The best rock and roll bands in the world, IMO, are made up of young, hungry folks who put all the passion and energy of youth into creating frenetic, honest, loud, from the heart, uncorrupted by money and label pressures, rock.

It is not music played by wealthy, egomaniacal, don't have to struggle for anything in life, old men.

Open your f'in eyes people. There is more to music that what you find at WalMart.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is ridiculous. Get off your high horse.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:31 AM

I must say that the ROlling Stones are awesome now....and that 25 years ago they blew everything away. Mick Jaggar playing with the giant inflatable penis on stage... how can you beat that?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:42 AM

Muse is great live as well. When I saw them, I thought they had a pre-recorded backing track for the synth lines, but in the Live 8 footage from Paris it looks like the bassist actually plays that stuff. [censored] sweet.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:02 AM

Never been in a band. How does one define this failure? Not getting filthy rich? If so, all my favorite bands are failures, because they do it mostly for the love of their art, and any $ they get is a welcome addition.

KJS
Old 08-02-2005, 01:10 AM

Why is it ridiculous? You have 2 choices in the world when it comes to art: get into that by people who do it for love or those who do it for money. Which do think will represent the better aspects of the craft? For me it is the former. Does that mean all art that pays well is created by talentless people and sucks? No. Does it mean that all art made by hungry artists is better? No. Both camps can produce greatness, IMO. But when it comes to things like radio play, video play, artist promotion, etc.. the big $ artists have a leg up because of the money their labels have.

Then people jump from bands being big and famous enough to play coliseums and be on heavy Clear Channel rotation and think that equals greatness. It doesn't, it equals exposure. Sure, some of those super famous bands have a lot of talent, but I could find you plenty of others that would be just as famous with that much exposure. But perhaps they don't seek it or want it. Does that mean that they are not as good? No, it just means they don't show up on silly polls like "Best Rock and Roll Band".

KJS
Old 08-02-2005, 01:13 AM

if you're gonna have a band that is broken up like radiohead, then Phish is honestly a glaring omission in this poll, but like El Diablo said: this is the worst run poll ever