Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2003, 10:52 PM

Default It\'s true anyone can win WSOP !!

After watching Chris Moneymaker last night on ESPN I'm sold. When Johnny chan had to tell him the action was on him, and He did not know he had card's in front of him??? Unreal!I am not saying I would not be nervous at that table too,but come on. This guy beat's the top player's in the world ?? Can't wait to see how he pulled it off. Better to be lucky than good sometimes.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:07 PM

Default Re: It\'s true anyone can win WSOP !!

Sam. I thought that whole segment was more than a little embarassing. I haven't figured out if they dragged it out intentionally, but man did it make Chris look silly [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] He was looking back and forth at the other two, trying to get a read (?) and wasn't even planning on playing his hand.....Well, he did end up taking out Chan later in the program.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:59 PM

Big mistake making a sweeping judgment based on one brain fart caught on camera in the course of a 5-day tournament.

Ever see a major-league baseball player forget how many outs there are and make a huge gaffe?

Same thing. Neither is relevant to playing ability.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:28 PM

Chris probably thought he had already clicked the auto-fold button.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:59 PM

LOL. But you're right, he is an online guy, and as I understand it, he has no prior live tournament experience, so I think we should be a little more forgiving. I was nervous and probably did similar stuff when I first played 3-6. He's playing in the freakin' World Series. I know very little about no limit tournaments, but his play seemed solid enough to me.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:43 PM

yeah...when playing a WSOP poker winner in my first live tournament with cameras and pressure on me, I never make a gaff or get distracted...LOL

I concur with previous thoughts...don't let one thing like that persuade you that there isn't lots of skill involved -

RB
Old 07-26-2003, 05:12 PM

I watched all 12+ hours of the final table live, and I was quite impressed by Moneymaker's play. His play on the 55 hand with Paul Darden on the show was quite good. In other words, whatever dude.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chris probably thought he had already clicked the auto-fold button.

[/ QUOTE ]

London,

I have to tell you that was won of the first ever posts that truly made me LOL Laugh Out Loud.

As far as Chris is concerned, The guy has never played a live game B & M. Think of the mistakes you have made starting out live and that's probably a 3-6 game. I know with even as much poker as I have played. I still continually miss my turn, forget the bet etc. Sometimes the mind wonders. BTW, I am sure Chris is quite embarressed wearing his gold braclet and spending the 2.5 mil (ok 1.3 after uncle sam). [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

lucy deucy
Old 07-27-2003, 10:08 PM

Ever see a major-league baseball player forget how many outs there are and make a huge gaffe?

Same thing. Neither is relevant to playing ability.

Exactly! Offensive linemen make mental mistakes all the time when they jump offsides, etc...

Anyone remember when a guy by the name of Chris Webber called timeout in the final four when his team did not have any timeouts left? I wonder what ever happened to that guy?
Old 07-27-2003, 11:49 PM

He skated on Obstruction charges because the key witness died, blew out his knee costing his team a chance at a title, and is otherwise doing well. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]