Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Diamond Earrings for GF...Where do I start?

So I'm going to buy my girlfriend some diamonds studs for her birthday. I've gone to a few jewelers and I've decided I probably don't want anything bigger than 1/4 carat and don't want to spend more than 150 dollars (I suck at poker).

What do you guys recommend for a good buy? Do I check ebay out? I'm ready for any suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Nick
Old 08-01-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Diamond Earrings for GF...Where do I start?

how about you start by spending that 150 on some poker books!! You said you suck!! The GF should be the only one sucking anything.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:22 PM

She'll never know the difference.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:23 PM

I usually start at a local pawn shop, but those are hit or miss. If I can't find anything there, I'll go whichever mall store has the best sale.

I tried ebay for some earrings for my mom, and was sorely disappointed.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:26 PM

Try here.

I purchased pearls for my wife from here and she was very happy. I'd highly recommend the 1/2 ct. if you can swing it.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:27 PM

If you're looking for real diamonds 115 won't get you jack. Either look for nice looking fake ones (cubic circonia) or look for pearl earrings. You can get some nice pearl earrings for that price, and then you can augment it with a decent pearl strand for a few hundred bucks for xmas. Obviously these will all be cultured pearls, but they look pretty, plus the added benefit of telling people you got your G/F a pearl necklace har har har.

Swede
Old 08-01-2005, 05:27 PM

So the ones that I'm looking at right now are 1/7th of a carat G/H color and I1 clarity for 129 bucks. Ok deal...Or shitty?
Old 08-01-2005, 05:35 PM

Dude, why even look at 1/7th of a carat? That's about the cut-off for using the diamonds to grind [censored] with. The only thing those studs will do is show people you are a cheap bastard. Seriously, if you can't afford 1/4 to 1/2 carat don't go with diamonds.

Swede
Old 08-01-2005, 05:50 PM

I bought some for my girl for x-mas and I got laid like 7 times that night, so they are +EV.

I bought mine on Ebay and got two studs with 2/3 carat total weight, O color and I2 clarity for $188, which I thought was an awesome deal. She loved them (She thought I paid a ton of $$), but I was dissapointed because they were very yellowish and not very clear. But, I got what I paid for, I scarficed clarity and color for size.

My recommendation is if you are going to drop the $$ already get her something nice, so when figures out what color and clarity scales are she realizes your not a cheap ass. If thats means scarificing size then so be it. Don't get anything under 1/4 carat total weight though, you can't even see anything less.

I researched alot and the common tip was to get diamonds with SI1 (slightly imperfect one) clarity and I color, because the flaws and color are not noticeable to the naked eye. But if your girlfriend shops with a microscope, you might want to reconsider.

-Danger
Old 08-01-2005, 06:22 PM

Just bought the wife 1ct studs from Blue Nile for mothers day. This might work for you link