Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Still can\'t get my 1st win! 2 more final tables this weekend.

I made a post last week "how many Final Tables have you made before your first win?". I did make 7, but now I'm up to 9. But I still haven't broken the ice. Friday night I was in a $50 tourney w/ about 600 people. I got down to the last 9 and realized I was in a room full of people that all played in the WSOP main event and other events (they were all talking about it). One of the guys names was Devin Armstrong. I did feel a little overwhelmed, but I still think its a crapshoot when it gets that low. Unfortunately for me I was shortstacked and went all in w/ 1010 and lost to A10. Saturday I played in a $100 tourney and got down to the final 6 guys, but still can't get my 1st win.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Still can\'t get my 1st win! 2 more final tables this weekend.

Since I replied to the last one I thought I would share that I did get my first MTT win this weekend in a PLO8 tourney - first one I ever played too - maybe I should play less holdem and more PLO8
Old 08-01-2005, 12:43 PM

Actually i don't mind PLO8, but I don't know enough about it.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:45 PM

Neither do I - I know I was more aggressive preflop than I usually am playing holdem for this very reason - plus you are very rarely crushed preflop in PLO8 the way you can be in holdem
Old 08-01-2005, 12:49 PM

So frustrating because I played for 6 hours on each tougney and got about 2800 combined which is a great ROI, but the top prize was huge. I just can't seem to get the hands at the end.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:57 PM

I think it took me 8 final tables before my first win. then i got 2 1sts in a row, so just be patient and if you keep getting there and playing well that first win should come.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:01 PM

Congrats on the two FTs!! Don't worry about who's at the FT with you, who they say they are or who they think they are or what events they've played in (turn off your chat if you have to)- you deserve to be there with them.
Sounds like you got your money in as a 2:1 favorite and got sucked out on; that sucks and it happens. I didn't read the other thread, but I'm sure that others recomended that you play some SnGs to get used to FTs. Play a bunch of them, hang out with the good group of guys in the STT forum, ask questions and make sure you play the turbos so you really feel the presure of the blinds. Soon you will learn the art of being a pushmonkey, and when it is correct and when only marginal, and when not correct. You clearly are playing well- 2 FT's in one weekend is no joke! Have some patience and you no doubt will soon have your first win.

GL,

yabastid
Old 08-01-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats on the two FTs!! Don't worry about who's at the FT with you, who they say they are or who they think they are or what events they've played in (turn off your chat if you have to)- you deserve to be there with them.
Sounds like you got your money in as a 2:1 favorite and got sucked out on; that sucks and it happens. I didn't read the other thread, but I'm sure that others recomended that you play some SnGs to get used to FTs. Play a bunch of them, hang out with the good group of guys in the STT forum, ask questions and make sure you play the turbos so you really feel the presure of the blinds. Soon you will learn the art of being a pushmonkey, and when it is correct and when only marginal, and when not correct. You clearly are playing well- 2 FT's in one weekend is no joke! Have some patience and you no doubt will soon have your first win.

GL,

yabastid

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks I've been on a ridiculous run. Yesterday I was ITM in 12 of 14 SNGs.. All 55+5 and 105+9. I don't want the run to end. Too good to be true.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:19 PM

Awesome. Sounds like you're doing everything right.
So, it's just a matter of time. It'll come.

yabastid
Old 08-01-2005, 04:37 PM

I can only agree by saying that you should try to play many SNG's to get practise for the final table. I play tons of SNG's and I was on my first 3 final tables about 6 weeks ago. Since then nothing, until yesterday, where I finally reached another FT, and this time I won.
Without being arrogant, I feel like I totally outplayed my opponents on the final table, and it was a 50+5 tourney. Nowadays, I also play 50+5 SNG's, but only since very recently.
In the situation you described above, there is nothing you can do. You were a clear favorite, but just could not pull it off. In my previous final tables, I always lost with AK against a pocket pair (the best pp was JJ). So, I always had about a 45% chance to win, but I never did.
All I can say, is that if you continue to play that well before the final table, and continue to play SNG's, you will soon win your first MTT! Promised!