Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Determining if Im getting unlucky or outplayed.

how many hands played? How much in bbs lost to the level u were playing at?
Old 08-01-2005, 06:12 AM

Yeah I am open to that view and I have been running through my PT stats to find something. It still appears that these are the biggest holes session after session. PT says Im being outdrawn in these spots 77% of the time.

Maybe Im just unlucky.

I think I will try to change sides and play as the drawing hands more often when I have good odds instead of putting myself in so many situations where I have the defending hand. There seems to be no other good ideas so its worth a try.

What else do I look for in terms of leaks other than what hands Im losing with?
Old 08-01-2005, 06:30 AM

Go through session by session. On the Known starting hand list, click the Net header to have it bring hands that you lost the most with to the top. Then go through each hand that lost and see if it was u or just the run of cards that beat u up.

I dont know how well u have the basics down, maybe u have them down pat...but if u do, go through and see if u are protecting your hands, playing your hands to maximize win, if u are FOLDING where u should be...etc.

U should post your stats here to.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:30 AM

I did experience somewhat the same, however coupled with a big tilt.
1. My biggest leak I found after looking trough my downswing was the approach I took towards SSH. This is a fantastic book which directs you on the right course.But I believe a common mistake is to treat it like gospel without regards to the opposition.

2. Knowing when to apply the play suggested and against who is much more important. I found myself hyperaggressive after reading the book the 1 time. When I held a good pocket preflopp I would raise and raise and raise. Boy where the opposition gonna pay me off to see my hand-problem is your nice preflopp hand will very often turn into a nice secondbest hand.

3. When u feel on terms with SSH, sit back play it in your head too. When will I try to do what against who and how many? Dont forgett it is a people game

4. Getting into the oppositions head is so much more ev+ then I ever imagined.

Finished puking all but a smile

Stokken
Old 08-01-2005, 06:31 AM

This should help u to see where your stats should be for various areas.

stats post

Poker is a tough game to learn and play well. Only 5-10 percent of players are winners. Pretty crazy. Takes time and experience.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:00 PM

Remember what the first few pages of SSH said? Something to the effect that when learning the game of poker it is different from learning tennis. Your mind is set to receive feedback and when that feedback is negative you try to adjust so that you don't make the same mistake (i.e. learning a hot stove is hot). If you learn the game and make decisions based on good theory then the money should take care of itself. Sure it may seem that people are hitting their 11-1 shots and sucking out on you, but if you put forth the effort to learn that these events are independent of each other then as SSH says the money will take care of itself. Do you think those same people are putting any effort into learning to play better? No, they just can't wait to see what the river will bring, the discipline to know when you should push and when to fold is left to you. Good luck!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How fast are you dropping 100BB is a concern. It sounds like you're doing it within ~500 hand -- even at 6max, this is not variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

After running 4BB/100 for 11K hands, I lost 68BB in 450 hands. :-P
Old 08-01-2005, 02:09 PM

I'm going to be honest with you. You do not sound like someone who understands the concepts of poker or has the emotional ability to handle the swings.

Also, it is possible to have a bad run of cards for an extended period of time, but I can't understand how all your premium pairs can be in the negative. From the hands that you posted, I have a feeling it is your play that is the problem, not being unlucky.

Make more single hand posts for feedback, and don't include all the background history and drama of the situation.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:15 PM

Shant,

Congrats on Carp status, man.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shant,

Congrats on Carp status, man.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. Wow I post a lot.