Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 04:43 AM

Default live 2-5 nl

I'm in a crazy $2-$5 that I regularly play in. On this particular evening, there are constant straddles from almost every position at the table. The rules in this particular room is that you can straddle at least 2x BB and up to your whole stack, though they typically range from $10-$25. The stacks range from fairly shallow (300) to very deep ($2500). I have ~$1200 behind, and my image is very tight. I've shown down maybe 4 hands. Two of which were AA, and one was the nut flush.

I'm UTG and hold KK. I limp, knowing with 90% certainty that it will be raised behind me. Sure enough, it's limped around to a woman in middle position who raises to $50 (she has $120 behind), a fairly standard raise in this game. She could have a pocket pair, any suited ace, or total trash. She's definitely the producer of the table. The only other solid player sits immediately to her left, and smooth calls (he's sitting on about $700, but not much of a concern, since he would raise to isolate with any kind of big hand).

Player immediately to his left, in CO makes it $200 (with $500 more behind). CO is very loose, and could have any number of hands. Just saw him call off his whole stack with Ace high on the flop, no draw.

It's folded around to me.

What's your move hereto get maximum value? All-in? Min raise to $400? Smooth call, and push on flop?
Old 08-01-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Re: live 2-5 nl

smooth call, check raise non ace flop all in.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:51 AM

The only thing I don't like about that, is the possibility of the limpers between me and the original raiser calling as they see this huge pot develop. I definitely don't want more than 2 other people seeing the flop with me.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:53 AM

you think people are going to call 200 when stacks are only like 1000 or so? if they're the sort of people to call 200 with stacks that short, they're the kind of people to go broke with top pair and i want them in the pot. this is obviously not the risk averse method of doing things, but by smooth calling preflop your hand looks a lot like TT/JJ and i think will get TT-QQ to give you money. also it might get AQ or AJ to give you money on a top pair type flop.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:56 AM

The players I'm talking about weren't the $1000 stack players. They were the $2000-$2500 ones. Though I do see your point.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:42 AM

I can see that you really want to get some value here by getting more in the pot preflop but the problem is that even just a minraise will make folding on the flop an unattractive option. I don't really like the smooth call preflop.
Any raise is going to scream a big hand. My line would be to move all in. You're going to be out of position post flop, you are best now and in all likelyhood (in a crazy game like this) you are going to get called in a least one spot here.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:50 AM

with AA, i can understand just calling here if theyu are rerally that bad, but with KK you obviously just need to move in.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:58 AM

My primary concern is your position and the fact that your opponents could hold anything suited and connecting. If you call and there's even one caller behind you (sounds likely), and the flop is coordinated at all, you are in a tough position and are forced to work with little to no info about their hand. So I guess I'm in the all-in camp.

I do think that a case could be made for calling if you think that there will be additional action behind you, btw.

Marlow
Old 08-01-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with AA, i can understand just calling here if theyu are rerally that bad, but with KK you obviously just need to move in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with pushing. There's a few hundred out there already, which is pretty sweet for a 2-5 game preflop. Especially when it represents 1/4 of your current stack. I would be happy even picking up the pot right here with KK, but would love a call from one player as well.

I think that smoothcalling is the worst option because KK plays horribly against 3-4 players.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:31 AM

The only reason not to move all in is if you had a good read someone had AA.