Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 11:28 PM

Default playing against a minimum raise

i have been playing the 25 NL game at UB lately and have noticed a lot of minimum raising going on preflop. How should you adjust your preflop play against a table full of players whose standard preflop raise is the minimum. Against the average player do you call with anything on BB? Do you reraise with standard open raising hands? Thanks for any input you can give me
Old 08-01-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: playing against a minimum raise

i would recommend a reraise just to see where you are and to be able to narrow down his range of hands. I wouldnt reraise will all of the hands i would open with...i would narrow it down to 77-AA AQ - AK maybe AJs...depends on the player. Regardless, just calling a raise of double the big blind leaves you with no clue as to where you stand and often lets others in for very cheap with weak cards, so i like the reraise.
Calling from the BB with just about any two makes sense as well.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:17 AM

Without any reads at that level I generally treat minraises pf as calls. Raise to see where you are if you dont have a read.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:21 AM

I treat a minraise as a call. If I have a hand I would have made a normal raise with, I will make a small reraise (i.e. at the .50/1.00 tables, if someone minraises to $2 I will reraise to $4-6 or so). I will defend my blinds against them fairly often. In general, I cannot stand minraises.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would recommend a reraise just to see where you are and to be able to narrow down his range of hands. I wouldnt reraise will all of the hands i would open with...i would narrow it down to 77-AA AQ - AK maybe AJs...depends on the player. Regardless, just calling a raise of double the big blind leaves you with no clue as to where you stand and often lets others in for very cheap with weak cards, so i like the reraise.
Calling from the BB with just about any two makes sense as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This generally accomplishes very little at these limits as 90% of the time you get called (even with aces a large majority of villans call you here). I agree with other posters that treating a min raise as a call is a good way to handle it. If they are min raising you should be able to outplay them after the flop.

At higher limits I find that min raises are very often low pocket pairs.