Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Please tell me how I should have played 88

[ QUOTE ]
sorry, i understand not calling the bet on the turn if he does bet it, but why would i call his raise if im not gonna call his bet on fourth street? why not just cut my losses after he raises?
and whats wrong with hellmuth's advice? generally it seems sound...

[/ QUOTE ]
Because he might bet that way with an AK/AQ. You likely want to check and fold to a bet on 4th street if an 8 doesn't fall. Also, you don't post any reads on these players, so it's hard to tell how they play. Is UTG a LAG/maniac type of player, or is he a tight/passive type of player?

For future reference, these types of posts will get better replies in the microlimits forum.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:55 PM

Read (actually study) them again in this order.

Small Stakes Holdem
Theory of Poker
Holdem for Advanced Players (optional)

If you plan on playing tournaments, reread

TPFAP
and buy Harrington on Holdem Vol 1 and 2
Old 07-31-2005, 11:15 PM

this is good advice.

although I still suspect the original poster would also benefit from GSIH and/or WWLHE vol. 3 before SSHE.
(with the caveat that he actually 'study' them)

FWIW - When I was brand new I came VERY close to coming on one of the Hellmuth book-bashing threads and saying "i don't think it's THAT bad. what's the problem?"

this was BEFORE I had read any other poker book (and was over a year before SSHE had even been published).

It's not that uncommon to think that Phil's book is pretty decent IF you are a new player. but once you see the other books out there (particularly the 2+2 books) I think one should not have too tough a time seeing where some of the flaws are.

FWIW - there are many posters around here who believe (or have observed) that Phil is NOT a good limit cash-game player at various limits. I haven't observed enough to really know myself....but some of his ideas lead me to believe this is likely correct.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:42 AM

You are right about GSIH or WLLHE. There is absolutely no doubt the OP would benefit greatly from reading those books first.

Ironically, I just wrote the following in your UB pro tip thread regarding Phil's book. Despite what I wrote there, I would have won more early on if I had read something better. (I did stumble upon TOP not long after luckily)

"I originally started with this strategy also. I did add in his majority play hands pretty quickly.

I hardly knew the rules of poker and had only read Phil's book, but I was able to beat Party 50/1 and 10 SnGs pretty easily. Obviously, my win rate went up when I found 2+2 books and forums, but it is pretty easy to beat low limit games simply following Phil's advice and using your head a little.

I ran pretty good right away or I would have busted out early (since I was way underbankrolled), but I am pretty sure I had a positive expectation after having read just his book.
"
Old 08-01-2005, 12:36 PM

i would say that the ss2 advice is good but its not complete it doesnt go into a lot of detail i havent read many 2+2 books though and y am i a moron
Old 08-01-2005, 05:01 PM

I don't think this was a terrible hand for you considering that you have a certain strategy with the rebet. However, I would only use that strategy if I could get a good read on somebody. Here are some things to think about, though it would help if you knew whether or not yor opponents were playing conservative or aggressive.

First, you are out of position. Second, if it was a conservative player who raised you on the flop I would have probably folded with the second pair as he would probably have Js or better. If he was aggressive player I would have called to take a look at the turn. If your opponent had you beaten with Qs or less, the Kc on the turn gave you a chance to steal to pot with a decent sized raise, as you would represent a pair of K or the flush draw.