Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 07:38 PM

Default 95s SB

I haven't been at the table long so no reads. I don't like this hand at all.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Is this a mistake completing here? I'm up against 1 random and 1 worse than random hand. SB is 2/5 of a small bet.

Flop: (3 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP checks.

Turn: (1.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP folds, Hero calls.

In theory this is a good card. According to poker stove, my equity here is 73% vs 2 random hands if we all see the river, and that includes the times I lose to a 4th club. Of course when I was raised I feared a flush, and 9T. Perhaps this is a little weak? He could also have a hand like K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or 2 pair so I called. A lot of players bet the flop here with a 4 flush. Correct?

River: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

I'm not sure what I was thinking here. Seems like a bad fold. Ugh.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Re: 95s SB

I fold preflop and 3 bet the turn. I'd hate to get 4 bet, though.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:48 PM

Once you completed your straight draw on the turn, you had to at least call down.

Thats because, although you might sometimes lose to a flush or better straight, you will beat 2 pair or something else often enough to make calling correct.

So I think that Yes, you should definitely have called the river.

You wont always be behind in these situations, even if sometimes you only end up tieing the hand.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He could also have a hand like K 8 or 2 pair so I called. A lot of players bet the flop here with a 4 flush. Correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
Then why did you fold the river?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:59 PM

bad river fold, Call for 1.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:02 PM

This probably wouldn't be a bad time to raise preflop. If you are going to play this pot IMO, it needs to be for a raise.

Brad
Old 07-31-2005, 08:08 PM

I'd fold preflop without some limpage before you. I usually wait for 2 limpers to complete any 2 suited, with this especially useless one, I might need 3 depending on their postflop skill levels.

The turn raise could be alot of stuff once the flop is checked through. A weak ace, a strong 8, 9T, and one or two clubs are all possible holdings. So I think you need to value-raise the turn, and can probably fold to a cap getting 9:2 on a calldown. I'm a little worried that Villain would cap the 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] straight-flush draw, but I think he has and caps these rarely enough that it's +EV to fold to a cap.
This is a pretty weird hand.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He could also have a hand like K 8 or 2 pair so I called. A lot of players bet the flop here with a 4 flush. Correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
Then why did you fold the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually this stuff came to me afterwards thinking about the hand. At the time I thought his most likely hand was a flush, but I wasn't sure enough to fold. The river made my hand worse. Now I'm also losing to just a ten and chopping with a 5 and the pot was pretty small. But mostly I wasn't thinking clearly.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:14 PM

I'd raise too but calling is better than folding. The turn and river plays make me sad, however.

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-31-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise too but calling is better than folding. The turn and river plays make me sad, however.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah maybe, but not betting out on an Axx flop the way the PF action went is pretty weak sauce. This is a good time to fire away. The nice thing about raising preflop is that you will probably win with a bet on an Axx board (or something like that), and you can also win either by betting or showing down when you flop a pair.

Brad