Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Ask any newbie question here

One more for you Citanul,

Is it ever reasonable to over call three all-in bets with pocket QQs on a rainbow flop of 2,7,10?

I was chip leader (3200) with aprrox 2x what everyone else had and raised pre-flop 300 from the button, was called by 4 players.
On the flop of 2,7,10 rainbow I raised 500$ and was called by all 4 players! (WTF they were thinking... I don;t know)
anyways, I put one on pocket 10s and on a useless turn 3, I folded to three all-in calls.

It turns out the best hand was a 10, 6, and he hit his 2 pair on the river.... But geez, it was just stupid poker...
Old 07-31-2005, 05:15 PM

pacecar,

this all depends on your competition.

i don't know what the standard of competition is at the 5.5s on stars, it seems like it's possible you had a call there, but i dunno.

it sounds like on the flop your lead out bet was way too small though.

you say you had 3200 and the most anyone else had was about 1600, and that the pot going to the flop is like 1500. your lead out bet of 500 is just too small. just go all in there and if someone has you beat well then you're at the same stack as everyone except the guy who wins the hand.

citanul
Old 07-31-2005, 05:44 PM

I'm not sure how to play these situations. The blinds are 50/100. Everyone folds to the SB who completes. Hero is BB. What range of hands should Hero raise/push with? How do circumstances such as SB's style, his stack size, and blind sizes affect hand ranges to push with? Thanks.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:49 PM

out,

uh, this question is way too nebulous to even attempt to make an answer.

too much depends on the factors you listed, as well as one you didn't mention: HERO's stack size...

citanul
Old 07-31-2005, 06:07 PM

Citanul,
Where is your avatar from?

-vas
Old 07-31-2005, 06:08 PM

Vasquez,

It's from a Magic the Gathering card called Citanul Druid.

citanul
Old 07-31-2005, 06:24 PM

Please expound on the difference in play for regular and turbo PS games. I can't believe "tight is right" as an absolute for the first four levels...before u know you could be shortstacked going into the higher levels kinda hanging there w/ no betting leverage. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:27 PM

EC,

If you wait so long you no longer have any leverage, you've waited too long.

The difference in my mind is that the normal stars sngs have more room to "play poker" because at the lower blinds levels you will get in more hands, while you still have room in your stack to play post flop. Meanwhile, the turbos play much closer to the party sngs, with the late game play far dominating early game play. The regular games are more "fun" for people who want to play "poker."

citanul
Old 08-01-2005, 02:47 AM

What kind of difference in ROI can a player expect between Party and Stars? To clarify, I'm specifically interested in the normal Stars SNGs vs Party. I would assume that with more play due to bigger stacks and slower levels a higher ROI might be more achievable at Stars. I'm not sure how the 10 vs 9 players might affect things.

As a follow up, these factors on Stars would also seem to lower variance so does this affect the sample size needed to determine your true ROI?
Old 08-01-2005, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of difference in ROI can a player expect between Party and Stars? To clarify, I'm specifically interested in the normal Stars SNGs vs Party. I would assume that with more play due to bigger stacks and slower levels a higher ROI might be more achievable at Stars. I'm not sure how the 10 vs 9 players might affect things.

As a follow up, these factors on Stars would also seem to lower variance so does this affect the sample size needed to determine your true ROI?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most players, myself included, are more worried about $/hour than ROI. If you want to play for first and get more wins etc, then Stars is the way to go. If you want to make more money, then Party. Just my opinion.