Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2003, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Blast! I lost.

"I am the chip leader with about $65, a rock on my right, goes all in $27, I look down and see A K . I put him on jacks or queens. I call.
He has queens. No help. I lose."

Why do you want to take on this "rock" with what is essentially a coin flip ? If he is a real rock then would he make this move with AQ/AJ etc. or just big pairs. If he wont then you will always be taking the worst of it.

"Later, I find Q 8 in BB and the flop comes 4 Q 8. Turn 2 or something. I bet ten he calls.. River 7. Same rock goes all in on the river for $61. I am at $80. I dont put him on a straight with a $10 dollar inside straight draw. I call with my two pair, and he shows a set of 4's."

Same rock, same questions...I take it they limped preflop - with what would a "rock" limp. They flat called your flop bet - if they had limped AQ/KQ they would probably have raised here, the only other likely hands are a small pair - as they would have raised preflop with a bigger pair, and folded on the flop with anything else if they are a real rock.I guess all you could have done was shut-down on the turn and maybe had to pay off a smallish bet, or fold to a large one.

"Later in BB I have 3 5 and flop comes 4 6 7 with I think two of a suit. I decide to slow play my monster "

This is not really "a monster", it's not even the nuts. With 2 suited cards and the non-nut str8 I think you have to play fast here - in this case I doubt it would have helped as they flopped a set, but you could have got your money in ahead and watch them suck out - moral victory [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hindsight is a wonderful thing so sorry for being critical. I think you have to be careful who you pick on in your game. If there are rocks dont mess with them unless you know you have the best of it. Pick on the weaker players you have obviously already identified.

Good luck!

Mark.