Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: REVIEW: Final Table Poker with Phil Gordon

Good review thanks. I've got to say that I'm biased against Phil Gordon -- he beat Moneymaker in a WPT event where I would have won some dough if Moneymaker had won. But I have to say, this is the best poker DVD I've seen. Read the review above for details. I'll just add that on top of the great poker content, it's fun and at times frickin' hilarious.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:11 AM

I bought this DVD available at www.expertinsight.com.

Fantastic video. From reading tells to handling position to making big laydowns to recovering gracefully from badbeats -- Phil covers it all. He comes across as a genuinely likeable good natured guy and you only regret that he is not the world champion. The video is very illustrative and they use the best graphics, sound effects and video clips to illustrate key concepts. Very well made.

One more thing -- the focus is exclusively on NLH tournaments. Most books/videos that you buy today cover a lot of limit hold'em theory and do lip service to NLH concepts and strategies.

I highly recommend it anyone that wants to improve their NL hold'em game.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:07 PM

I just go my copy. The production value is very good, the slamming of Dutch Boyd is funny as hell.

The format of this video is inovated, and will hopefully become a standard.

What I like about the video so much, is that the situations are not straight forward, Phil reevaluates the strength of the hand continuously based on the actions of the players around him - for example, when his isolation raise fails to work, or when a short stacked player enters a pot unexpectedly.

Excellent video.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:50 PM

I could not agree more folks...the format is quite unique and I am looking forward to more from Phil and his crew that put this thing together.

I am curious to know from those of you that have seen it. Utilizing a format like this one (or any other I guess), what would your three top topics be? As for me personally, I would like to see one on the following:

#1. Bluffing (making and detecting)...there is very little out there on either side of this topic and I think something that goes indepth would be a huge hit.

#2. SnGs...I think alot could be done here and is another topic that does not have alot of material out.

#3. 6-man max table play...very popular on the net, obviously, but very different than a full ring game. And, again, not alot of info out there on the topic.

What do you think?

Michael
Old 07-27-2005, 09:24 PM

I ordered this DVD on Monday and it arrived in my mailbox today (Wednesday). Excellent turnaround time! I just finished watching it and it was well worth the small investment. First of all, it was very entertaining, especially when Phil was making fun of "Butch Dude" and his rookie style of play. At one point, after "Butch has lost a ton of chips and gone from the chip leader to the short stack, Phil comments, "Nice chip trick, Butch!" Other hilarious comments also ensue, such as commenting on "Harmony Jenson's" overly affectionate embrace of a busted player. My advice to 2+2ers is to go directly to the advanced track and skip the beginner track. The hands played are the same, but the insight is much better on the advanced track. Highly recommended! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2005, 05:34 PM

This was posted on a site I frequent for bonus hunters:

Product: Phil Gordon's Final Table Poker DVD
Offer: $3 off with coupon code "CINEMA3"

I just ordered and it works. You have to type the code in box labeled
"Promotion Code" on the Shipping & Payment page and click the "Add" button for it to be accepted

Three bucks is three bucks...
Old 07-31-2005, 12:20 AM

Sweet. Thanks, much. I went to order this a few days ago, but saw that promo code box. I just couldn't let it sit there all naked....so I purposed to wait until a code showed up! Now the DVD is on the was to Texas!

Rob (TexBigSlick)
Old 08-03-2005, 07:01 PM

It's not too often that I get to do two "reviews" of the same product, but I need to here.

This past weekend, I was in Vegas. At the suggestion of a friend I went over to the Sahara to check out one of their NLH tournaments. It was a $40 + $2 with a rebuy and an add-on. So, I entered. I ended up winning the whole thing for a little more than $3,000. I have to honestly say that one of the major contributors to winning it was Phil Gordon's DVD. Many of the principles that he re-enforced on the DVD came into play and it kept me alive and able to play when the cards came. It was some of the best poker I have ever played to make it through a field of about 130 and it is the biggest single payday I have ever had...and alot of the credit goes to Phil and his team for putting together such a great product.

Just thought I'd share....

Michael
Old 08-05-2005, 03:03 PM

Congrats merijin. Between HOH and Final Table Poker I've been playing the best I've ever played. I didn't win $3000 like you did, but I've won 4 of 10 SnGs, placing 2rd or 3rd in 3 of the other ten. I'm pumped. Next stop, HOH-2.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:19 PM

$10 for shipping is a little steep