Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Bubble play

Wyrm,

A) If you've known someone is a calling station you've had all tournament to value bet at them. If it's late and you're still short, you need to do a combined strategy of stealing when that guy isn't in the pot if possible, pushing your good hands, and waiting for him to bust other people who will be needing to get aggressive.

B) This question depends. With your stack where it is, you shouldn't be opening all that many pots honestly, and when you do you should be comfortable playing them post flop. Continuation bets are something you just have to get a feel for when to do and when not to do.

citanul
Old 07-30-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Ask any newbie question here

chripe,

I believe at the moment their official stance is that it's ok.

citanul
Old 07-30-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Finish Distribution Question-Probable Leak

From 40 $6 SNGs-Small sample size but would like some early feedback before I move up to the $11s

43% ITM
--------
20% 1st
8% 2nd
15% 3rd
-------
Bubble
-------
4th 6%
5th 9%
--------
Rest 42% but...
20% 8th [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Self-Analysis
My SH play has been pretty good and I've taken a couple of beats holding dominate hands for third place finishes so it could have been better

Bubble play has been decent but getting to the bubble has been the problem...

The 20% bustout at 8th means I'm playing too many hands early on. I've been trying to play only top card/overcard pairs post flop but I may be playing them too fast for too much $. Pre-Flop 3-6x BB raises and pot size post-flop raises seem to get little respect and I end up down signifigant amounts early if top pair doesn't hold...

Should I let the donks knock each other out but build big stacks and be happy arriving 5 handed near the buy-in amount or keep playing aggressive early and deal wth a lot of early busts?
Old 07-30-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Finish Distribution Question-Probable Leak

cadillac,

a) your sample size is insignificant
b) your itm is >40%
c) your 1st% is 20%

don't worry about anything in your game, just move up to the 10s. don't draw any stupid conclusions about what you are doing wrong with your play because you had what, 8 8ths?

sheesh.

let's see, yesterday, i played 48 games and i ... had 8 5ths! 10 3rds! 6 8ths!

i'm sure you see the point. even if you'd played 1000 games, having 20% of 8ths wouldn't be a problem if you were still hitting the itm and roi numbers you are.

citanul
Old 07-30-2005, 03:57 PM

I'm putting this in this newbie column because I'm sure it's been asked and answered an hundred times before.

22s, 5 handed, big blind 50. Folded to me in small blind with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and 460 in chips.
Big blind seems neither loose nor tight, has 2000 in chips.
I push.
Good or bad? If bad, would it be good if blinds were 50/100?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Professional Player Usernames

I know this has been asked time and time again, but i couldnt find it after searching for 20 minutes. So could someone link me to the thread where many of the professional (big name) poker players' usernames are listed.

Thanks

Jason
Old 07-30-2005, 05:15 PM

I have never played SnGs before but have got bored of ring games(0.5/1, 1/2 6max and full experiance). I have not been playing that much recently becuase I find it too boring. I used to really like poker and want to get into SnGs to see if that changes my mind [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

How would I go about learning SnGs and what amount of money should I set out for this? What levels and where to play? I dont want to fork out on a book just yet although I have heard good things about 'harringtons' SnG book.

Any advice?
Old 07-30-2005, 06:30 PM

Thanks Citanul, I also saw the equation in the FAQ...

My idea of "fold equity" was pretty wacked: say you have 1000 chips left and there is N in the pot where N > 1000. If you fold, 1000 is your "fold equity" and relates to your overall chances of cashing relative to other opponents. So, if you push, if the P(winning pot by showdown)*N should be > 1000 to make pushing a better play that keeping your "fold equity".

dont ask me where I got this idea of fold equity, but please have yourself a good laugh [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I understand the definition now, and have relied on that concept heavily in post-processing SNGs...just never put it with the correct term.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:28 PM

Womble,
2+2 is a great place to learn about sng's. Other than Harrington, I haven't heard of any other books that are as highly recommended as this site. As for cheap places to play, UltimateBet has $1+.10 games to get you started.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:22 PM

Which sites are the most rigged?

I say Party.

TIA.