Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 04:01 PM

Default STUD OR OMAHA QUESTION

I'm currently very interested in learning a new poker game and is caught in between 7 card stud or pot limit omaha. I'm wondering which game is easier to learn and master. It would be a bonus if you can tell me why you choose one over the other. Thanks for your help
Old 07-29-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: STUD OR OMAHA QUESTION

Stud is inherently harder to master because there are many many many more ways for hands to play out.

Because it's harder I think it continues to be interesting. I don't think I've ever played a session where I was 100% sure of every play I made. I've played many holdem sessions where I thought I played 100% correct.

I don't know much about omaha.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:14 PM

I have limited experiance with omaha and it was 5/10 limit but I can say that both stud 5/10 and omaha 5/10 are significantly harder then limit HE 5/10. I enjoy stud more but that is just a preference as I was sick of flop games when I started with stud...
Old 07-29-2005, 05:00 PM

I am partial to stud and stud hi/lo, Both games are fun to play.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:55 AM

If you prefer limit hold em, go for stud. If you prefer no limit hold em, go for pot limit omaha. Limit games are more similar to each other than to big-bet games (and, indeed, there are those who say that the skill set in limit hold em is more similar to that for stud than for no limit hold em). If you like tournaments, I tend to prefer stud unless the pot limit omaha is a rebuy, because PLO no rebuy seems like the biggest crapshoot given sufficiently low buy-ins.

A secondary factor is your access to games. Wherever you play, it might be harder to find one game vs. the other at the stakes you wish to play.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:20 AM

Learn both, that way you can pick the best game on a given night.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:36 AM

In addition to what the others have said, it may depend on what stakes you want to play. Low limit PLO is very boring but relatively profitable. Low limit stud is relatively interesting, probably somewhat less profitable (because the fish regularly give you their whole stack in PLO). As the limits go up, both games becomes more interesting but also a lot harder. As a (limit) hold'em player, I find higher limit stud surprisingly intuitive. PLO is not intuitive at all for me.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A secondary factor is your access to games. Wherever you play, it might be harder to find one game vs. the other at the stakes you wish to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the Internet that's not a big concern, but it is if you're looking for B&M play. On the East Coast stud is your best bet; in the South and in Europe, it's Omaha. Don't know about how it is asnywhere else.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:31 PM

Not that either game is EASY but I'd go with PLO. play really tight, play aggressively, and you'll win a lot of money. PLO is a great game, and it's probably the most profitable game in my opinion. You just need to know what hands are playable and when to throw them away post-flop. If you're drawing to a straight and think someone is drawing to a flush, don't bother. You'll make your hand, they'll make their hand, and you'll lose a lot of money. Oh, wait.. that's how I play PLO lately [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Just be patient and smart and you'll be seeing some nice results soon enough. My personal preference is Stud/Stud8, though. Try out both games and see which one you like more.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:13 PM

First of all. I dont know much about stud but i am learning plo at the moment and will try to describe the nature of it. If nl holdem is the cadillac of poker plo is a huge powerfull train. In plo omaha situations arise where you have to put your full stack in the center a lot of times. Holdem is a much more delicate game which gives you the opportunity to exctract a lot of information about the other players hand. In plo players frequently has the nuts or are drawing to the nuts and then the money goes in. Sure you can make some moves in plo but much less than in texas. Stud seems to be more imilar to texas in that its a more complicated game.