Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Another Beer Question.

[ QUOTE ]
What is the best beer that you can buy in any grocery store that doesn't taste like piss?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so you live in MS, which hugely limits your choices -- especially because grocery stores in your area are less likely to carry interesting brews. Grocery stores in many parts of CA carry craft beer.

Furthermore, lots of good USA brewers don't distribute in MS for a wide variety of reasons.

So here are some suggestions with all that in mind. I find none of these beers particularly good to my palate, but must be found on MS.

Sam Adams and/or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
-I have no idea if these are in MS, but if any non-macro makes it out there, these would be likely.

Abita Amber
-A beer brewed in Louisiana, so maybe some comes across the border? I have not tasted this, but it's fairly well regarded.

Shiner Bock
-smooth lager, not bitter or hoppy at all. passable. you might see cuz its brewed in TX

Widmer Hefeweizen
-try with a slice of lemon, they've partnered with A-B, so you can prolly find them in MS? Light years different than a traditional Bavarian hefe because it's brewed with an Alt Yeast strain, but a mellow drink with an interesting mouthfeel.

Guinness
-tastes nothing like that nasty/bland macro-brewed corn-lager you're used to. More like coffee than Busch

Heineken (can only)
-Don't buy in green glass bottles because of skunking (no need to explain, easy to google)

Newcastle (mayyybe in MS?)
-nice brown ale, no bitterness at all (for me this is a bad ting)
Old 07-30-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is the best beer that you can buy in any grocery store that doesn't taste like piss?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so you live in MS, which hugely limits your choices -- especially because grocery stores in your area are less likely to carry interesting brews. Grocery stores in many parts of CA carry craft beer.

Furthermore, lots of good USA brewers don't distribute in MS for a wide variety of reasons.

So here are some suggestions with all that in mind. I find none of these beers particularly good to my palate, but must be found on MS.

Sam Adams and/or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
-I have no idea if these are in MS, but if any non-macro makes it out there, these would be likely.

Abita Amber
-A beer brewed in Louisiana, so maybe some comes across the border? I have not tasted this, but it's fairly well regarded.

Shiner Bock
-smooth lager, not bitter or hoppy at all. passable. you might see cuz its brewed in TX

Widmer Hefeweizen
-try with a slice of lemon, they've partnered with A-B, so you can prolly find them in MS? Light years different than a traditional Bavarian hefe because it's brewed with an Alt Yeast strain, but a mellow drink with an interesting mouthfeel.

Guinness
-tastes nothing like that nasty/bland macro-brewed corn-lager you're used to. More like coffee than Busch

Heineken (can only)
-Don't buy in green glass bottles because of skunking (no need to explain, easy to google)

Newcastle (mayyybe in MS?)
-nice brown ale, no bitterness at all (for me this is a bad ting)

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Shiner, I use to drink that when I lived in Dallas! I didn't even think about that one.

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2005, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in missouri? Bud?
Old 07-30-2005, 07:46 AM

STELLA ARTOIS!!!!! Hands down the best premium beer I've tasted in all my travels, and now it's available here in the US.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:13 AM

Red Stripe tastes awful but it doesn't taste like piss....as for good beers that don't taste like piss, I usually opt for Berghoff or Bass.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:15 AM

beer
Old 07-30-2005, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In Maryland, none.

In states that allow grocery stores to sell beer, any Sam Adams is a safe choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same with North Dakota.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

because ND blows poo
Old 07-30-2005, 08:22 AM

bud light 4 life.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in missouri? Bud?

[/ QUOTE ]

just curious, this whole time steve has been around you thought MS stood for Missouri?
Old 07-30-2005, 05:49 PM

well, i didn't ever look at his location until just then, but yes. it means mississippi? the beer situatino is probably worse then.