Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Aces, and raised on the flop

[ QUOTE ]
i fold.

but if you are uncomfortable with this then I would either fold now and wait until I get a read or use spoonhunter's line of reraising now to 200.

the problem with betting 90 on the turn is not if he reraises but if he smoothcalls then pushes a blank river.

[/ QUOTE ]

You always fold this spot ?
You think he never makes this play with KK-TT ?
Old 07-29-2005, 06:46 PM

you are saying he raises the flop, push the turn with those hands but doesn't reraise preflop?

sure its possible but its highly unlikely.

time for baye's theory.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:12 PM

IMO, there is absolutely no reason to call this. If you think he'd never do this with TPTK or an overpair, or a flush draw, you could fold and maybe you should. I'd have to be pretty sure, and with a flop raise, as opposed to a turn raise after a call, or an even stronger check-call, I'm pushing the pot here. I believe that raising the pot would put me in a position where I'm all in on the turn, as is he if he calls. Therefore, I'm going all in, and this guy's going to have to beat my AA.

I do this for 2 reasons. 1) he could be learning the easiest "trick" to a "tricky" player: raise a pf raiser when he bets out on a garbage flop; 2) if I call, which seems to be the prevailing attitude, this guy's going to think I hold AK, holding what is likely to be J-10 suited with a flush draw, or A9 - then he'll bet out to drive my AK out, and I'm in a tough spot with a hand that's beating a ton of hands that raise that flop.

Therefore, I put my money in the center, and chalk it up to what some call advertising if I get beat. I look at it as not wanting to get pushed out of pots, especially with AA. Change it to JJ and maybe I'd fold.

My two cents.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are saying he raises the flop, push the turn with those hands but doesn't reraise preflop?

sure its possible but its highly unlikely.

time for baye's theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many players who would flat call KK-TT and raise a flop that had all-unders on it.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:20 PM

AK doesn't call the raise typically but if calling the flop raise allows him to think you have AK, wouldn't you want to call?

he can't bet me out since I'm leading the turn for 1/2 pot or so.

If he is brave enough to raise there with A9 or pair under AA or flush draw then yeah, he's got me. good bluff. but typically most people don't make this turn raise as considering my remaining stack, fold equity looks pretty low.

if you are going to get it all in on this flop somehow, then you must also occasionally do it with AK here.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:21 PM

I agree.

but would they raise a turn 1/2 pot bet?
Old 07-29-2005, 07:32 PM

a good percentage of the time, i'll check raise all-in most turn cards here. some of the time i'll check/call down. very infrequently i'll check/fold the turn. in order to fold i'll need a read that tells me he has a set. bet/folding to a raise on the turn seems kind of silly unless we're given reason to believe that villain only plays like that with the nut/near-nut.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:36 PM

you can force villain to commit a bigger error on the turn by check-raising on that street. reraising on the flop makes it an easy fold for most of the hands we get value from on future streets. this is based on the assumption that we are paying him off if he flopped a set.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree.

but would they raise a turn 1/2 pot bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

They might do, but what if they just flat call ... then what on the river ?
Old 07-29-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

basically all your options sort of suck but thats the best line I can come up with.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, so true