Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: KK HU OOP, call down or fold?

Yeah, Frank Zappa rocks.

I don't understand what good keeping control of the hand does. The way to play against habitual bluffers or LAG's is by calling down and not throwing more chips in when they'll likely fold worse hands or cap better hands. Aggressive play isn't always best.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:14 PM

I don't put villain on tens. Though I doubt he reraises, I also doubt he hesitates to call with a pocket pair that high. It's possible that he may hesitate because he hates the price that the kill is causing him.

I really admire a fold and think it is the best move. Not sure that I do it, but I want to. Depends on how well I'm playing.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:15 PM

In that case, you can check/call down the river, but there's no way I'd drop KK.

I already see that I'm in a big minority here, but as far as I'm concerned, the information I get from the raise and the river call will pay themselves back many fold.

I usually won't get pushed off a good hand even with a scary board and that's something people should know; it makes them less prone to try to play me next time.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In that case, you can check/call down the river, but there's no way I'd drop KK.

I already see that I'm in a big minority here...

[/ QUOTE ]

But you keep ignoring chief's perfectly sensible replies to your posts, which you've now apparently come around to by admitting that you'd c/c down.

Yes, OP is probably beat here (that's one for folding), but he's up against an unknown that might or might not be capable of raising the turn scare card (that's one for calling). Raising just does not seem to be an option here.

Yes, raising is usually better than calling; yes, calling too much is passive and weak, but when facing unknown aggression, or loose aggression, sometimes calling down is right. Here it's probably right, which you seem to agree with now.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
I don't put villain on tens. Though I doubt he reraises, I also doubt he hesitates to call with a pocket pair that high. It's possible that he may hesitate because he hates the price that the kill is causing him.

I really admire a fold and think it is the best move. Not sure that I do it, but I want to. Depends on how well I'm playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree with your assessment, my effective odds to call when I'm behind about 3.5:1, don't seem high enough to justify calling because he probably isn't bluffing that often. I knew he'd fold a 5, and couldn't put him on a T, I check-called down and he rolled 77 for a flopped set. I was right about my read in that it would seem weird that he would have a straight, but I didn't stop to think hard enough about other posibilities. As for the hestiation, I think it's safe to say he's solid enough to fold 77 in that spot when not in a kill blind. I wanted to post an example of a hand where I felt I should have found a fold, but didn't (a big leak of mine now).
Old 07-29-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I already see that I'm in a big minority here, but as far as I'm concerned, the information I get from the raise and the river call will pay themselves back many fold.

I usually won't get pushed off a good hand even when it's pretty clear I'm beat and that's something people should know; it makes them less prone to fold their draws because they know they'll get paid off if they hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 07-29-2005, 06:06 PM

I fold to the raise.