Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: was I on tilt?

[ QUOTE ]
what is a super-reader type?

[/ QUOTE ]

One time, I was playing 4-8 with this guy and it got to be heads-up on the river in a large pot. He had been betting like he had a hand, but my draw came in on the river. I went all-in for my last $2 (1/4 of a bet) and he folded. He's that kind of guy that trusts his reads probably too much, and also likes to call them out (often when he's not in the hand).
Old 07-29-2005, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I when I asked "was I on tilt" I suppose I meant "assuming that I'm a good enough player to play this correctly otherwise" (which is a big assumption, I know).

My thinking at the time was that he might be trying to push me around with something like A7s so my cap was for value, and also to avoid being pushed off the best hand. Clearly for the second part to have any value I needed to fold to the river bet. Calling the turn was obvious, and on the river I convinced myself that I had to be good once in a while.

Thinking about it now, I hate this hand. He's a thinking player, so what does he put me on on the flop? Since I raised a bet from my right, he can be pretty sure that I don't have a straight - he knows that I'm much more likely to have 89 than 34, so I wouldn't need to protect a straight on this flop and I wouldn't want to blow away the field. So now he's gotta be thinking that I have top pair/2 pair/set. Yet he 3-bets anyways, so he's telling me that he can beat top at the least - and if he can beat top pair, he can beat my 88. I have a lot of outs at this point, but not enough to bet for value heads-up. Clearly after the 3-bet I need to call the turn and fold the river u/i.

As to the tilt question, I'm now convinced that the answer is yes. I think if I was more clear-headed I could have come up with the above analysis at the table. I think this is classic "everybody is constantly trying to push me off a hand" type of tilt. Its not that this hand in particular bothers me so much, but I see now that I was playing when I really needed to take a break or just go home. I think I got lucky that my tilt only cost 1.5BB this time.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:40 PM

after my thinking about the question, I think whenever you have to ask this question the answer is yes.

sorry, you were tilting. what the f*ck did you do that for?
Old 07-29-2005, 02:19 PM

I like the flop cap. PS says he has you beat equity-wise 51.5-48.5 if he has 2 pair, but if I expand his holdings to include A7 as well, then you have a 60-40 lead. When you add in the possibility of a free card and the information that if he comes out betting you're probably facing better than 2 pair, this seems like a pretty easy cap.

You should've folded the river, though.