Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Re: How to play AK in $5/$10 SNG\'s?

Thanks wiggs -from my experience people call with any Ax regardless of raise - indeed so do any two face cards etc - just wondering how much +ev AK is against those cards?
And yes u r correct - with 1500 chips and 10 min levels I can play a lot of poker - thanks

Cheers

Damian
Old 07-29-2005, 09:56 AM

ahhh ok, with 1500 starting stacks raising with AK is standard and you will get callers with a wide range of hands. If it folds to you do not limp, and at this level even limping UTG hoping for a limp reraise is most likely not worth it. With this starting stack size you dont have to get to commited to an AK hand on a scary flop.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:27 AM

First some thoughts on preflop play: No matter what hand I have if I raise first in I raise 3x BB. If I raise after limpers I raise 3x BB + (1BB per limper). If I raise a raiser a raise 2.5-3x his raise. If I am going to be really short postflop I will just go all in. I play EVERY hand this way. It makes it really easy to not give info to your opponents if you play every hand the same. Obviously there are some drawbacks but I would reccomend a similar system to any beginner so you don't worry about preflop action and then get to focus on postflop play and analyzing your opps. preflop bets.

Now, on AK specifically: Your game will get a lot better when you learn when to play AK more passively (multiway postflop) and when to play more aggressively (HU and preflop). When I stopped spewing chips into 4 people after I missed a flop my results got a lot better. Also, I may play AK differently than most posters in that I am perfectly willing to raise people all in preflop in early levels with it. In TPFAP Sklansky has a whole section dedicated to AK in NL tournies. It is a must read IMO. Basically he talks about how good it is to raise all in PF with AK and that the best time is when your raise is 2-5x the pot. I have had good success doing just that.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:30 AM

Another reason to make a standard raise is that an observant opponent will notice that you are playing AK differently and will make it easier to put you on a hand [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 11:33 AM

I typically raise slightly more in level 1 with AK than in subsequent levels, 4-5xBB rather than my more typical 3xBB. So, with AK and blinds of 10/15 I'd raise to 60 as a default or perhaps 75 with a couple limpers. Heads up a continuation bet is a good idea. With 2 callers it can work depending on the board. With 3+ callers, I typically wouldn't try it. You are raising AK for value -- it stands to be the best hand come showdown more often than its fair share -- so you don't have to take it down on the flop when you miss for raising AK preflop to be profitable.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:09 PM

At level 1, raise to at least 5x BB with anything you're going to bother raising with. You raise preflop (usually) to thin the field, and only secondarily to extract value, with most hands. At level 1 of a 5.50/11/22, 45 chips just won't do it.

Even when you hit the flop and have (typically) TPTK, that's a fragile hand against a whole flock of limpers. With one person or two left in the pot, you can bet much more confidently and know that you're less likely to be up against some bizarre two pair. (Understand, though, that the moment he calls your all-in re-raise on the K62 flop with K5, quantum mechanics guarantees that the river will be a 5.)
Old 07-29-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At level 1, raise to at least 5x BB with anything you're going to bother raising with. You raise preflop (usually) to thin the field, and only secondarily to extract value, with most hands. At level 1 of a 5.50/11/22, 45 chips just won't do it.

Even when you hit the flop and have (typically) TPTK, that's a fragile hand against a whole flock of limpers. With one person or two left in the pot, you can bet much more confidently and know that you're less likely to be up against some bizarre two pair. (Understand, though, that the moment he calls your all-in re-raise on the K62 flop with K5, quantum mechanics guarantees that the river will be a 5.)

[/ QUOTE ]

... and costs you the most chips when you miss. This is a leak.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't figure out how to play AK at low buy in tables, especially at level's 1 and 2.

I started off raising the standard 4XBB and end up with 5 callers - miss the flop and make a continuation bet for half or 2/3rds pot and get 3 callers etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This right here is a major leak in your game. Stop making continuation bets with nothing into a field of 4-5 opponents. With that many people, somebody hit that flop and you are just going to lose more chips with your Ace high hand.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

... and costs you the most chips when you miss. This is a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how this is a leak unless you like five people coming along with your AK. I'll admit that AK has typically been a trouble hand for me, but that's more by virtue of doing stupid crap like continuation betting into a four person pot.

It was my understanding that you don't want to be playing AK in a multi-way pot if you can avoid it. 75 or 90 (in level 1) usually narrows the field while 45 rarely seems to. Not to mention that I usually have the best hand at this point (or at least no worse than a coinflip). What am I missing here?

(In a higher buyin, I would raise to 45 or 60 instead, because there's somewhat more respect for a reasonable-sized raise. Least amount that acheives the desired outcome and all.)