Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Re: learning to lay down hands: hand #1

All i can say is wow you are way too tight passive always looking for reasons to fold. if you were gonna fold for one bet on the river with trip kings why didnt you fold on the flop with top pair?
Old 07-29-2005, 05:06 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Given this:

[ QUOTE ]
Read on sb is that he totally overvalues his pocketpairs. He had raised utg w/ 22, and in another hand he reraised my utg raise w/ 44, raised my bet on a 976 flop and bet the whole way (i had tt).

[/ QUOTE ]

I call this river easily. What is your definition of a LAG?

Also, don't show your cards when you fold. Why do it?

b
Old 07-29-2005, 05:56 AM

You can learn a lot if you stick around these forums long enough.

First of all, calling when head up on the river with any sort of good hand can't be that big of a leak. Trying to hard to make terrific folds will bust you.

Its limit hold'em, normally by the time you see the river, its worth calling if you have even a %20 chance of having the best hand. For this particular hand calling should be easy against all but the most passive opponents that won't c/r the turn w/out having you crushed. Villian certainly doesn't match that description.

The worst move you made, however, was showing your King. Thats what inexperienced players do that want people to think that they are tight. You need to understand that you don't want people to know that you are capable of that kind of laydown, lest they start taking shots at you and putting you to difficult decisions.

Poker is not about pride, or ego. Showing that kind of fold does nothing but stroke both. Poker is about money, and if you keep doing stuff like that, your going to cost yourself a lot of it.

lf
Old 07-29-2005, 06:00 AM

i can't wait to see hand #2
Old 07-29-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Otherwise, we can't really comment on the laydown. You made a read and went with it. Even if you were wrong kudos on sticking to your read and not chickening out on the river. Now, here's hoping you are a good hand reader!

[/ QUOTE ]

Strongly disagree. There is something to be said for getting a read and acting on it. But it should apply to situations like "he probably made a flush, so I'll just check behind" This way, if you're wrong, it only cost you one bet. Or "Normally I'd raise, but I have a bad feeling, so I'll just call". Ditto.

But laying down a fairly strong hand in a 14-bet pot because of a "read" means you gotta be about 95% certain. Your opponent couldn't have checkraised w/ KT? He couldn't have checkraised as a semi-bluff? It is a MAJOR leak to make risky plays like folding the river on a big pot with such a strong hand because of overconfidence in your read.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:51 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

i don't know you, and i mean this with the best of intentions, but i think you are playing over your head at that limit. i could be wrong as i have limited knowledge of you specifically, but that laydown against that player with that board shows a very weak/tight mindset.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Strongly disagree. There is something to be said for getting a read and acting on it. But it should apply to situations like "he probably made a flush, so I'll just check behind" This way, if you're wrong, it only cost you one bet. Or "Normally I'd raise, but I have a bad feeling, so I'll just call". Ditto.

But laying down a fairly strong hand in a 14-bet pot because of a "read" means you gotta be about 95% certain. Your opponent couldn't have checkraised w/ KT? He couldn't have checkraised as a semi-bluff? It is a MAJOR leak to make risky plays like folding the river on a big pot with such a strong hand because of overconfidence in your read.

[/ QUOTE ]

But where do you draw the line? What is considered a big pot? Do you call in a 14 BB pot? 7? 22? IMO the answer is it depends on your read.

If you've been playing with Jim Bob for 20 years and he has always has at least 2 pair when betting the river..it doesn't matter if it's a 30 big bet pot. You fold top pair.

It would be a major leak for OP to fold on the river if he wasn't over 95% certain he was beat. But my response is in the context that the poster presented: he is trying to raise his game to the next level. I have no idea at what level he currently is. But if he's trying to go from good to great he has to be a good hand reader and he has to trust his reads.

If I was giving advice to an average player I would never tell them to lay down the hand.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:14 PM

is this a joke?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:48 PM

You have to call this river, or reraise the turn - anything other than fold!
Old 07-29-2005, 01:10 PM

Based on your post, I think it's much more likely that your biggest leak is getting bluffed out of pots when you have a marginal hand on the turn or river and your opponent has nothing. Here is a link to a post I just made on another thread with a similar topic.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...;o=14&vc=1

For what it's worth, I think in the situation you describe, you have a clear call with pocket sixes, let alone King-Jack.