Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 02:26 AM

Default AKs in BB.

UTG is a solid TAG (15 11), but not particularly tricky from what I've seen (which is only about 200 hands though). UTG+1, not much a read but seems fishy.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG raises, UTG+1 calls, 6 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG bets, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG bets, Hero raises, UTG calls.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, UTG raises, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $109
Old 07-29-2005, 02:29 AM

Default Re: AKs in BB.

3-bet preflop. Lead the flop.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet preflop. Lead the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:47 AM

With only two other players in you want to get as much money in the pot preflop as possible - so reraise when it comes around to you.

When your Ace hits on the flop with 2 cards of a different suit you have to bet that out or check-raise it (you had the opportunity to check raise and just called).
Old 07-29-2005, 02:57 AM

Ok, here's my reasoning during the hand.

I can see the 3-bet preflop but was trying to disguise my hand a bit to get more action post-flop as lately in the 5/10 my big hands have had no action.

With the 2 to the flush I was going to checkraise if UTG+1 came along but when it got to be heads up I figured I would wait for the turn because I put UTG on at best AK and likely AQ or AJ or possibly a PP like KK or QQ. Seems like heads up I can not worry about the flush quite as much.

On the turn when the diamond comes I still think I am ahead and have a bit of fold equity by coming alive with the scare card. Even if he has a diamond I am still a 3-1 favorite although he has odds to call.

On the river I try a Clarkmeister.

After the hand I thought I had overthought pretty much every street and fell victim to Fancy Play Syndrome. Seems like the comments confirm it.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
....fell victim to Fancy Play Syndrome...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont really see a lot of fancy play in here. More along the lines of terrible play.

Seriously 3-bet preflop and if u had a chance to cap it (if someone had three bet)...then u would also cap it.

Lead the flop. UTG raises, then u 3-bet. If he caps you still have him tied or beaten. The only thing that sucks about that turn is If he has a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A or K (or perhaps AKs of [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) then it sets up a redraw for him.

A TAG raising u on that river, u can safely fold.

But if you like money, and you want to maximize your winnings, u need to be more aggressive. Also, Just about the only time u can SLOW DOWN in that hand is if he raises u on the turn or starts throwing some serious aggression at u after the flop. But not until then.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:56 AM

By Fancy Play Syndrome I mean "think I am playing fancy but really playing exceptionally badly." Hence it being a Syndrome. After the hand I pretty much felt like I misplayed every street. Seems like the river play was okay as no one has jumpmed on me for that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the comments.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:59 AM

I hate it all but the river.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:59 AM

This hand = trainwreck

1. Three-bet pre-flop and lead the flop. Anything less is bad poker in a non-heads-up pot. Don't try to disguise against multiple opponents, just maximize value.

2. Clarkmeister on the river is good.

Think about how much better this hand would have played if you had the lead all the way...

[Edit] Didn't realize pot was heads-up on river... looks good now.