Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Dubious play on all streets

Played about one orbit so far. MP3 is the sort who likes to see a flop with any two. Button was pretty quiet so far.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, MP3 calls.

Can't really check-raise to protect here, and if Button has an A I'm toast. But check-calling down seems horrible and I might still be ahead here, so I bet.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Well, the only draw on this board hit already. Pot is big and I want to show down my hand, so I check planning to call a bet on any river card.

River: (7.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets...</font>

What, no bet despite me being weak? Well, maybe a worse hand will call ...
Old 07-28-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Dubious play on all streets

The button is probably as scared as you are of the ace.

Once he slows waaaaay the hell down you can probably keep betting. I put him on KK-TT, unless he's being really cute with an ace and letting you bet it for him (I figure he would have raised somewhere if he did have one).

-K
Old 07-28-2005, 10:59 PM

I play the same against this opponent.

I would think when you're beat here it's normally by a weak ace that villain insisted on showing down despite the action.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The button is probably as scared as you are of the ace.

Once he slows waaaaay the hell down you can probably keep betting. I put him on KK-TT, unless he's being really cute with an ace and letting you bet it for him (I figure he would have raised somewhere if he did have one).

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you talking about MP3 in the second paragraph? Button (the PFR) folded the flop, weird as that seems -- no idea what he had here (TT?).

MP3 might be pulling a WA/WB here with a weak ace, but (1) I doubt he's heard of the strategy before and (2) it would dictate a river bet after I check through the turn.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:04 PM

Oops. Button really was scared of the ace. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

MP here is calling down with who-knows-what. Sure it could be an ace (or it could be the flush), and it could be complete crap. With only one over to your wired queens, I keep banging away until someone gives me a reason to do otherwise.

-K
Old 07-29-2005, 12:58 AM

not betting this turn against "the sort who likes to see a flop with any two" is really really bad.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:10 AM

If you're only going to put one more bet into the pot UI, I bet the turn as the last money I put into the pot.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pot is big and I want to show down my hand, so I check planning to call a bet on any river card.

[/ QUOTE ]

With MP3 playing so many flops, have you been able to pick up his postflop style at all? Generally passive?

I bet the turn because he may have a lone heart and will call to chase. If check-raised, I can give it up unless villain is known to be aggressive or tricky. The pot isn't huge, so I don't feel so bad about letting it go in a situation where I'm probably taking the worst of it.

If villain is known to be aggressive or tricky, I check to induce a river bluff.